Micah 6 vs 8, Michael Jackson and protesting with the GenZ people in Guyana 2026

>
Micah 6:8 

Sun cooling down, 430pm.. traffic heavy on the road, people going home. Car stops and window comes down and big smile from a woman from mandir.. she laughs when I tell her I am going to the protest.. "I thought so".. 

I take my time, not sure of this gathering. A young man tells me to take a placard, or write my own. I pick up one.. Edghill Must Go. I recognise another man who encourages me to stand on some wider parapet.

I hear that one of the placards at the protest is part of Micah 6:8 in the Bible.  

Mind moving all over the place when  I realise that I am in the protest with some of the Christian citizens who like the venomous beast-bitten Minister (is the venom still inside him?)  had protested against LGBTQI+ equality over the years.. 

Micah 6:8 (NIV version) says 

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly[or prudently] with your God."

There was a Pandit/MP on the picket line and I wondered if I should find an appropriate Vedic scripture which would also connect humility and accountability. 

But place hot, and  I was already holding a Placard with Edghill Must Go while scanning the road, greeting other protestors . 

Protest 

And others come, some I have not seen for a long time. Red Thread, APA folks, some political folks. Not Gen Z, older generation who had been protesting for a long time. 

The Guyana constitution which enables the dysfunction starts with 'WE, THE GUYANESE PEOPLE.. and continues

Safeguard and build on the rich heritage, 'won' through tireless struggle, bequeathed us be our forebears..   

And so standing with Cuffy to the left.. with the non GenZ and GenZ to right.. of people who realise that not all Guyanese are 'winning' any heritage  

 Gen Z  
A young woman passes with a basket, "would you like a treat' - some small bags of cakes and cookies.

 I thought it was fund raising, but it was a sharing from the group. 

 I am curious - faas - about how the youth organised the protest, and as sun going down, I manage to get to gaff. 

One told me that she is aware of the youth protests in Nepal and India which led to change, another youth said he didn't know much about them. 

I found out they are connected through the University of Guyana, and started conversations in a Whatsapp Group. There were trolls and people who wanted to incite violence who infiltrated the group. 

I saw some men in black t-shirts with white SECURITY on them.  

I kept thinking of how after two messages I want a phone call, and in the one small group , I keep asking them for a 'meeting' because I not able with typing back and forth.

They organised the protest without really knowing each other 'IRL', even if they knew about each other. 

Yesterday was the first time for some of the youth participating in a protest. Last week was the first time for others. 

'I did not vote for this'.. one told me, who had voted PPP/C twice.

It was good to talk with them. If anything about the protest, it was the opportunity to meet people who I would not meet or talk with otherwise. 

Michael Jackson 

 Sun going down, nice dusk. We walk across to Square of the Revolution . Woman who offered me a lift home starts moving head and hands.. 

Man with a food stand has a Michael Jackson line up. Song is 'They don't care about us.. ".  

First time I am hearing this one.. I start dancing with the woman.  

Learn that Michael Jackson had written this as a protest song in Brazil.  

We dance..I mean is Michael Jackson.. 

Man watching us and smiling. Nobody else bothering with us.   Cuffy up there


 Woman tell me to wait until song done and then we will go.

And then we went home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Dear Janelly David, I am sorry..

The spider which drew me in..