The spider which drew me in..


 

Spider

Go down in the yard , wondering if I should so something about the banana suckers which springing up all over, in my mind some story to spread them out and then others saying lef them

 and then I look between the broad green leaves and see the large delicate web. 

 In the middle, the black and gold/yellow spider being very still. 

I have not seen one of these before and I realise that I have not seen spiders for awhile in the yard or the house (maybe the lizards? ). And so I try to move under the banana leaves, in between them so as not to disturb the web and to check out the spider. And I check it every day that I go down. Other animals might move when they sense 'humans' but in the hot afternoon, the spider is still. 

Bokeh

I fiddle with camera, reading out about bokeh and trying to understand how I could catch cobweb on an image with the spider on it, much as I suspect the spider has me caught in a way. 

I check for it every time I go downstairs, is like something which move in like the cat which used to come and sleep under the kush grass but used to move away if I got too close. 

I understand the black and yellow patterns make it ugly and fearsome to predators.. but there is a strange beauty of the patterns , this thing is not hiding like others, standing out there. 

I hope that my survival adaptation to Guyana is not meaning that I will be seeing beauty in ugly fearsome things which are coming in. 

Maybe the black and yellow would scare away predators while attracting people like me.

One morning the spider is moving on the web, the web though not really moving much and we hear that there is so much strength here really in all this thinness. 

And I come back another time, with camera and move around , over, checking light, losing the web, losing the spider, not getting the colour, fiddling with the zoom.. and the spider stays still. 

There is a solitude in this stillness in the banana leaves and gentle breeze. There is this kind of lightness, being suspended. 

I know the spider is supposed to be waiting on bait to land in the web for it to eat. 

Meanwhile though, it seems like is only me that is in its web.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar

The uncomfortable white man in the room with history..