boobs, ice cream and God...

The intelligent, dynamic twenty something year old woman asked me if I wanted to see her boobs. We were having ice cream at Edy's in Albert Street, sitting outside. We talked about many things including whether I should eat more ice cream. She is a devout Christian, studying , though not sure yet that she wants to be a Pastor. We talked work stuff and about children and the country. We then talked about God a bit and spirituality and differences in opinion and how she ends up being friends with the people she least likely thought she would end up being with.

I wanted more ice cream but she said she will not be an enabler.

She had read the blog and told me that losing the breasts is no big thing. She went for treatment for breast reduction and the doctors recommended a mastectomy instead of a breast reduction mammoplasty. She had removed both her breasts.
I was stunned, and of course did the thing to look down to see what really did she have there. She saw me glance down and she said.. that it was skin and fat, all the breast tissues were removed. She wanted to show me the scars from the surgery. The surgery was difficult and she had almost died.

I was like oh what, here now.. I mean, I have walked around without my shirt all over the place, so what is wrong with if she opens her blouse to show me the scars on her breast - if it was a man, then it would have been easy to do?
She told me that after getting over the surgery, she is now ready to talk and she has no problem showing the results of the mastectomy. She realises that it is different for people with cancer, because in her case she wanted to do the surgery whereas the people with cancer have no choice.
Boobs are on my mind.. since I saw the cleavage on the cover of the 2010 issue of Horizon magazine - one guy told me he did not see the cover, while another one dropped the magazine in a huff and said it was vulgar. A woman told me though, that think how good it would be that people pick up the magazine thinking it is a fashion or woman magazine and then find the articles inside with the various subjects.  Issue 5 of Apsara magazine has a picture of a semi-nude pregnant woman. That was nice when Demi Moore did it for Vanity Fair.. and then well, it was followed up with Bruce Willis, Claudia Schiffer, and others.. so now it is not so shocking or anything like that, but maybe if she had not used her hand to cover the  breasts the same way as Demi Moore did.
Men can show off their nipples and breasts.. why can't women do the same?
A friend living overseas told me she posed nude for a 2011 calendar, by chance but she said no details yet until the launch of the calendar.  Another woman asked me if there was anywhere in Guyana to do a mammogram.

The woman eating ice cream with me hopes to write a book about the experience of surgery, - fearing that she would lose her voice from the intubation and trying to explain to others that she is still a woman even though she has no breasts. She said many people don't want to know. We joke that she could be considered on her way to a sex change operation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar