Grating coconut for Indian Arrival in Guyana 2024


Grating coconut

Place is humid, rain set up. Back step is dry. I pick up coconut and the kuknee and think right, hustle up.. grate the coconut, before rain comes down and wet the back step. 

The day before , menu had to be changed because back step was soaking wet with the overnight rain.

And I did not have anywhere else really to grate the coconut. 

Rain starts drizzling, and I hustle up, break the coconut .  

Sit down, and start moving and some of the rain drops sprinkle on me and I think maybe fall in the coconut. 

Kuknee  is older than me , always been around. I need kucknee and a back step to grate coconut, knowing no other way to position get the right leverage to kind of move the coconut around the blade.

Indian Arrival

5 May, Indian Arrival Day. Rain drizzling and I think right, wondering if I lived in a logie, I would have needed some strong bench or tree trunk or something to sit to grate coconut. Or maybe men did not have to grate coconut. 

Coconut is good for us again.

And the Happiness of ArrivalIndian Arrival as the descendants of those who arrived continue to endure the trauma and elect people who face unresolved allegations of rape and child molestation. In their multicultural paradise.

I not sure though if kucknee is a coolie word and if it matters really.

Coconut grating must have been one of those things which all of the ancestors did for different reasons. 

There is no special meaning then, in grating coconut with the kucknee on Indian Arrival Day/Arrival Day .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar