Yoga of hibiscus thriving in the heat

 

Heat... 

Place hot and the fan is a companion which doesn't dry the sweat on the skin which comes from just sitting and doing nothing. Moving and sweating in the heat is probably better than sitting and sweating. 

Things to be done all over, but nothing urgent. 

The drying out tree cutting which needs attention still has the 'falla me' insects on them but no rush to sort them out just yet.  I try chopping one morning to move out but a bite on my elbow will remind me to leave it until I figure out what to do.

But "falla me" is not the only animal in the yard.

New activity in the day as I move around the yard to look to see if the cat is here, 

I don't understand what the cat is doing in the hot sun under the fragile shade of a kush grass bush when she could be under the house taking breeze. 

Maybe I should crawl under the bush of grass and find out. 

And remembering the man managing two tawa in an enclosed space as he cut the dough, fill with dhal , put to tawa, flip, oil,  turn.. take off and I watching him , cool moving, locks under his cap, and wondering how he manage the heat.

Contemplating whether to let grass grow to keep some things cool in the meanwhile, or to weed the yard in case people who pass by wondering if I am letting the yard (and myself) go.. 

One day the cat is under the pumpkin vine which has only flowers and no pumpkins. And there were birds flitting about on the concrete another afternoon, probably eating the seeds from the grass which I should weed. 

And looking at things which have to be done, which I not sure what to do, and then realising that there are some things which are done like the double pink hibiscus with more flowers and buds and dead flowers than any cooler, more nourishing time

 

Hibiscus... 

Double pink hibiscus planted by the man who liked to plant different things, and who put the hibiscus in the back yard. Others died in other parts of the yard.

The tree looks dead sometimes, all leaves gone sometimes except for one or two. 

But as I look away from the things to be done, there are a lot of flowers, some dead ones from yesterdays well lived, and buds which bring promise of tomorrows of visions of hope (sorry Kalidasa) in the bright green healthy leaves. 

I don't water this plant really as I am not sure what interventions are needed. Sometimes best to leave the dead or half dead alone.

I try with the camera, see if I can get them all , show the shades of pink and the green and the stages of life.

The camera though does not see what the eye sees,  picture of birth, life , death on one reincarnated tree .. the buds and dead flowers don't look so prominent in the images , and camera chooses one flower at a time.

 

Thriving..

Place cools sometimes, rain drizzles, falls, stops, sun dries everything out, some of the ferns are burning but they will come back when the rain comes back.

The hibiscus might stop blooming when the rain comes. I am not going to work out what nourishes the hibiscus .

But maybe working out what causes the hibiscus to thrive in this heat, would help recognise the things which would help me thrive.. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar