Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

 

(President Irfaan Ali made a Facebook post in which he accepted the resignation of his comrade Nigel Dharmlall from the Cabinet and the Party. This is an imaginary rewriting of that statement)

Fellow Guyanese, as you’re aware, I am in Trinidad and Tobago attending the 45th session of the Heads of Government meeting of CARICOM and the 50th anniversary of CARICOM. 

Tonight I want to address you in relation to the allegation that was made multiple allegations of rape and sexual violence which have been made against Minister Nigel Dharamlall. 

From the inception, I advised the population that I would allow the system to work.  

I would never and the government would never intervene in the system. We’ve allowed an independent investigation; the minister proceeded on leave to ensure that an independent investigation was conducted. I recognise that many survivors of rape and other forms of gender-based violence do not trust the system to work because it has failed many times. 

I admit to my own powerlessness in not taking action to fire my comrade and not listening to the reports which were made quietly by people who trusted me and the PPP to stop the violence happening in our name . 

The Police did their investigation and also all the other agencies, including the DPP. This evening, you’ve seen the statement from the DPP in which she has advised that she will not proceed on any charges against the minister based on all that is before her. 

I recognise all the comments on this investigation and I commit to doing an inquiry so that the system can be improved.  

However, Minister Dharamall has advised that he will tender his resignation as the interest of the government is important to him and he will not want anyone to bring the government into disrepute. My government is committed to zero tolerance for all forms of gender-based violence. I have therefore dismissed Dharmlall as a member of Cabinet , and expect the Opposition Leader to remove him from Parliament. 

He has also advised that these allegations have affected him personally and as such, he has offered to resign as minister and as a Member of Parliament. 

 I recognise that many survivors of gender-based violence have been affected during this process. I will therefore request that there is non-partisan inquiry into the allegations, and to ensure accountability.  

I’ve, therefore, accepted his resignation as a Cabinet Member and a Member of Parliament. Nigel Dharamlall has committed to me that he will continue to support and be a member of the People’s Progressive Party and also be supportive of the government. 

 I have written to the General Secretary of the PPP to insist that there are procedures and polices in place to ensure that no person in the Party abuses any citizen. 

There must be a procedure to accept reports and to provide support to survivors of gender-based violence. 

I expect that the PPP to ensure that none of our supporters experience any form of abuse because they are loyal to us us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar