"Nigerian women don't do stupid things"

 

Bus pulls up with driver alone and I am glad to stumble in the front seat to half lie half sit down. I hear the driver's reply to the morning from the body which dealing with stomach bug.  Kind of short reply, polite.

Radio playing

Bus drives pass a man, and then stops after man waves hand from behind the bus. Man jumps in the bus. 'Sorry, I was on phone.... morning'

Me and driver mumble morning.

Man asks from the back 'You from Nigeria'..

My mind shifts from the stomach to the driver's response and curiosity about man from oil producing Nigeria coming to oil producing Guyana to join the minibus madness on the roads .

Driver gives a quiet, 'yes'..

Man in the back says 'You bring any Nigerian girls wid you.. dem woman tick and nice'

Driver is silent for a bit.. says 'I don't understand what you ask..'

I want to know about transition from Nigeria to Guyana and trying to establish some brotherhood of the enjoyment of oil money.. 

man in back affirms a different kind of brotherhood..'i want to know if you bring any Nigerian women wid you, yall got nice women..'

Driver is quiet and says 'Nigerian women don't do stupid things..' 

I see his face, set, in front.

Man in back says nothing. I ask driver 'how long you been here'

Driver says 'long time' in a way which I hear 'mind your business'

I say arite and then shut my mouth until I ask for the corner. 

Man in back shut his mouth too.

Some Nigerian men  don't stand for stupid things either.

Attributions acknowledged of  Flag of Nigeria and Flag of Guyana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar