Mopping out house in thunderstorm and blackout

 

Yearning for some routine task and things being normal and thinking yeah , clean house before weekend as you normally do even as you know there is no normal anymore.

 Day though is broken into segments and so sweep in the morning to come back and finish later. 

Cloud hovering over the city, 4pm and humidity high and some cool breeze in between. 

Thunder rolling, minibus moving through traffic. 

Place dark when I come home and I put on lights all over and say right .. let us resume before it get too late. finish off the other things .. as place darkens, thunder rumbles, some flashes as the place darkens 

I know I can't sweep out after 6pm but I ain't ever hear I can't mop out after 6pm but still.. just in case.. let me move.

Body in pain from the stress thing so thinking that the mopping and so, kind of dancing and bending and so might help if I breathe too. 

Nice plan in action. Thunder, rain starts pelting down but it falling straight without breeze so I say yeah I could leave windows open to dry out place.  The smell, petrichor coming up with the lil steam

Lightning flash, thunder clap and then blackout.

Stand with mop in hand. Realise is not transformer . 

 Find battery lamp and think nah, I will finish this mopping out, show that I can finish what I started no matter what in a time of uncertainty.

The lightning, thunder.. I wish the lightning would flash more so I could see..

Come down wet steps with lamp and bucket , trying not to let lamp get wet as rain now blowing. There is a yellowish colour to the light from the lightning , something to do with sunset?

Find another source. Moving the lamp around lil annoying so filling water in dark and imagining the detergent. 

The white foam gleams in the darkness from some other light source outside.

The open gutter spout gushes the rain water and I think, man, let me go fill from there. 

Stand as lighting flash, and thunder rolling to full bucket and thinking to just bathe now.

But I want to finish de wuk. And I not sure if bathing in the open with thunder and lightning is a good idea as I could imagine that the lightning would

1. Illuminate my naked soapy body at the wrong time

2. would strike my naked soapy body and I not able to be electrocuted at this time

Icy cold water, and it is soft, light.. .. I forget rain water don't need as much soap as pipe water.

Back step wet and I say nah, I gun leave you til the morning.  even with lamp , is like mopping blind as I imagining the floor.. mindlessly mopping.

Check windows and rain okay , not blowing in..and well, floor dry.. except I realise later that the rain did blow in from one but I could not see.

And roof start leaking which did not leak when the carpenters were around after the other rain storm after they would have fixed it and the lamplight not enough to see where else leaking and I hearing drips but I said nah, leh me wait til light come to see is where.

 I exhale.. laugh as I said right, house clean now.. thunder rolling, rain falling, lightning flashing, blackout ..

At some point light come back, and the rain ease up and the thunder and lightning stopped.

 I glad I did not wait though.

 

Feature Photo derived from one by Elvis Bekmanis on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar