politics and Peeling katahar seed mindfully..

 

politics

Woman has two string back of katahar seeds and two plastic bags of peel katahar. Sun is hot. Midday in the market. I. Thinking of the katahar seed and the pumpkin mix. 

Look for the pumpkin. The young man selling the pumpkin says with a half smile, almost apologetic.. $400 dis  one, $500 dat one.. ".  The market .. things are changing. The taxi man asked me earlier.. 'what you think abotu the country booming' and I had to careful. Coolie man few years older than me.. I just say well some booming some not booming. And he tell me how give dem dis five years and another five years and things gun fix, look all the road and so. He said he getting more work than he can handle. I want to ask him if he needs to make more money than he does now .. but I shut up.. because is a tense conversation .

Conversation with the woman selling katahar is not so tense.

"I can lef it till tomorrow to cook?" I ask her because afternoon sun is too hot in the kitchen and I don't feel like going and cook.

"Yes.. nah put am in ah fridge , lef am outside"

I buy both bags . Leave them outside.

Cool morning. Place is dark as rain sets up.

Pressure cook the seeds. Wait for seeds to cool down. Thinking of the other message from the PPP man I am fond of but also nervous about talking with because I will hear how the PPP can't do good yet , gotta give them a chance even as he knows and I know that he realises that 2022 PPP is worse than 2014 PPP

But "Hey bro.. " on the message. And the other PPP man I met on the day I buy the katahar seeds. Explaining how drainage is bad in his PPP area, the mess, that 'Jagdeo visit and dem supposed to fix it..' and knowing that is stupidness that Jagdeo and the Ministers micromanaging to that detail. 

'Things hard..' he tells me but then he realises that I might not have voted like him so it is the strange conversation of  'things bad' but were worse .  

And I hear of another woman who supported the PPP quietly who said she will stay home next time, not vote. Her son tells me 'there is no credible opposition'. And I think of the woman staying home.. what more credible opposition is needed? PPP supporters who are sickened by the PPP still blaming the PNC for not being good enough.. be the opposition then that you want the PNC to be. 

 

Peeling

Katahar seed ready to peel. Warm to the touch. Trying not to get carried away in the boredom of the seeds. I know instead of thinking of things I could sing Hare Rama Hare Krsna and turn the time into a puja.

I forgot that they take long to peel .  Not like the koa seeds where the shell slips off easily. Thinking how I like the kowa not for the sweet fibrous flesh but for the seeds which taste nice and easier to peel.

Cut the seeds. Pick up half, take the knife. Either scoop out the nice dense bready seed or try to peel off the brown shell. Brown shell in the butter bowl used for small rubbish near the sink. White creamy inside in the basin. Taking care, so knife does not cut me. 

Sometimes I mix up.. creamy white in the butter bowl, shell in the basin. 

But bring back focus. Breathing . I look at the clock and think nah.. there is no time now. When I finish, I finish. Letting things flow. Thinking of the two conversations with the coolie men who I met for the first time, and the other conversation with the other coolie Bro which will not happen.. letting those flow out ..

Writing

Fingers feel different, trying to twist the knife, hold the shells and take out every bit of the white. Fingers which need to move in different dimensions do things other than type, or grasp. 

It has been a while since I have written about nothing really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar