The thief , the green mangoes and me..


"I sorry uncle" the man says as he picks up the green mangoes under the tree and moves under the house ...

 "I lef dem fuh you" 

Wake up and hear leaves rustling and the thud on the ground. Thinking that yeah, somebody in the yard, in the tree. Check the time. 430am. Get up, put on spectacles and look through window. 

Hear the thud and see in the ambient light put up for security , the mangoes as they fall and the white salt bag on the ground. There is another bag in the tree.  

Wondering if it is Sunny the other thief who thinks everything in the area belongs to him. Curious. 

Earlier the Sunday, another man had come looking for green mangoes .. 'you know de fasting ting.. navratra.. de food need lil sour fuh guh down'.. 

Go empty bladder and come back. Look through the window. Should I open door and go out with cutlass and so on and chop up the man?  

"Ow man , you could ah come day time an ask me, i would ah give you" .. talking to the tree with the leaves rustling.

I see the outline of the man, the light is not enough. short man, curly hair, white shirt.  Man comes down, graceful and quick and moves quickly.. says nothing.

"You could ah lef some fuh odder people man, ow.. " I say.. speaking to the dim light really 

Man tells me he sorry, and that he lef a few fuh me. I wanted to ask if you aint gun pick dem up at least. I recognise him and his salt bag from another time when he had come to ask. The mango tree has a lot of visitors. I don't own the mangoes or the tree really .

I hear the noises over the road of the car doors as the other workers going to work. Oil and gas workers.Writing as I think of the lil bet being left back from the oil and gas, as the man lef back the few green mangoes under the tree.

By the time I go to the front , the man has gone out the gate... .. the security over the road would not have seen anything . Gate is open and I realise the chain is missing. Another time gate was locked when the thief jumped the fence with the gas bottle and rode away.

Come downstairs and see chain is under the tree .. he was going to take the chain too. The mangoes are there, I pickup to give to whoever wants. 

There is a seedling  growing and I wonder if the man would take the tree and plant it.

The man will come back. I don't know if the house will be next after the mango tree ; and if I would ask him to leave back anything for me then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar