Polluted rivers and Christmas with a cutlass under the bed..

 

Rivers

The woman laughed as she held my hand. She was helping me to climb out of the boat on the fairly steady river. She said it is the first time she had to help a man and every time I saw her, she laughed. She and her husband were kind to hold my hand in and out of the boat. As man, I don't ask for help normally but my balance is bad and if I had to get to work, then..

It was nice to be on the river, once I got in the boat. Kamarang and Mazaruni Rivers - for a couple of days I had to use to get some work done.   Nice breeze blowing, pulling down the mask and hoping that no Covid-19 virus blowing anywhere across the water.

I saw children paddling canoes. A pensioner paddling her canoe with a child, and I remember the last time I tried to row a boat in a river and nearly capsized it.

Another woman who was from the river said that more than drowning, be careful because the waters are polluted with the mining. She would not use water from the rivers. 

All the surface beauty is nice... all the niceness and then deep down, the pollution, the sickness. 

Cutlass under the bed

A woman tells me I live in a nice area. Old wooden houses, and concrete buildings. Some of my neighbours have nice flower gardens. 

Thieves broke into the house next door to me this morning. The security guarding the people who will bring prosperity to the PPP would not have seen anything as this is how security works.. only the area in which they guard will they know anything.

The thief moved like a river through three yards to the road, picking up something from my yard to use as a tool . 

Meanwhile, news that crime is down and so on and tonight I will put a cutlass under my bed in case I have to reverse the flow of the river.

Another friend experienced a home invasion, guns and so and the police have not bothered to do anything to even try.

The pollution flows with the river of life through Guyana, with the crime, the corruption, the intimidation of those who want to speak up, the lack of impunity for the powerful.  

There are no notices for the bandits and robbers.. call this number to come out of the river of pollution and jump into another river of prosperity and leave people alone.

But the breeze was nice on the river and the scenery is beautiful and Main Street Georgetown looks pretty in the Christmas lights while other places do not have lights or the lights are broken.

The river moves though..  and maybe we can clean it to use the water in it.. let it flow and nourish everyone...

or not.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar