Plantain chips gift and other good signs in a rough time..


 "Aye , aye .. come come .. see what we building..." the man calls me. I am walking in a kind of fuzz and not feeling like I could carry on a small talk conversation.

Man calls me into the place which used to sell food. There is construction work going on, has been going on for awhile. Glass cases still there. 

"Look, we aint doing food, we doing these things to sell.. pepper sauce, chips..." . Man is full of energy

"You aint ever had this.. like pringles.. " He opens a plastic bag with cassava chips. The last molar had broken so the dentist said don't chew rough things. I was craving things to crunch and had been holding back from running down to the supermarket to pick up crunch things. Back in the day I didn't care when the mood caught me.. I bought and binged. The women who makes my favourite plantain chips had not come for two weeks. Nothing else compared.

The thing with plantain chips though is that nothing like a pack which lil hard and not too crunchy to spoil the mood. Better to go without. 

Look tek some.. and the man poured some of the cassava chips in my hand. 

He goes to a box, takes out a pack of sealed plantain chips. Puts in my hand.  Nice round ones. A huge pack. Man probably wonders why I am staring at the pack.  The gift at a time when things were rough. When I was not moving or moving slowly, or in a random case moving backwards.

This October week has been rough. Moon things.  

I go home, grate two green mango, garlic and mix with salt and pepper sauce to make a lil green mango choka to put with the chips.. to soften. Put with the plantain chips. Eat slowly.. not worrying about whether the mood will lift.  Not worried about glycemic index and shugah levels in the blood. 

Think of the other gifts, the random messages. The request from the film maker about the music on his film. The live stream of the simple satangh for navratri as i like it.. communal prayer, singing and havan and very short message. 

Waiting things out, glad for the signs from the Universe that I am still a part of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar