Ochro, yoga and managing diabetes..

 

 Taking tablets and enjoying life..

 The man cheerfully shows me the coke and says "is my second one today". He has been diabetic for 10 years.. "I arite.. i tek me medformin and daonil and don't tek stress'. The other man tells me 'I like roti and cake and so.. I take the meds and enjoy my life'. 

The other man takes meds, and has his snocone and barfi and chocolate and so and when he shares the pictures on social media I want to say.. but budday... . 

The other man takes the meds on his doctor's advice and has a continuous glucose monitoring system and enjoys life.. he has been surprised at which foods he can tolerate and which ones spike the glucose levels.  

Another man is about to work to change his lifestyle as his sugar levels are high. 

Another man went on meds for a short while but had bad reactions, and then went on a regime of diet, exercise, Ceylon Cinammon, chromium etc and brought down his AIC levels to normal.

All these men are younger than me. I could not believe that diabetes is so prevalent.  And Diabetes is big money for Big Pharma.. the testing strips cost more than the machine. The tests cost money, the devices , insulin all cost money and the research is constantly changing and shifting in terms of what to do and how to do things and so on.  Diabetes does not kill you immediately.. death is slow from what I have witnessed.. many health complications, amputations, slow death.. for many persons and all good business for the medical industry.

"Once it is in your genes" the doctor cheerfully told me on the seawall.. "you will become diabetic.. start living like one to manage it"

Abnormal

But inheriting diabetic gene from one side of the family and sweet tooth from the other side.. the mental health cures and coping mechanisms during the pandemic - ice cream , condensed milk, sampling a range of sweet biscuits , sometimes the whole range in one go..  the body registered 6.5 'ABNORMAL' on the AIC in January. 

 

Ochro

I  did not want to go on meds and enjoy life. I am terrified of the dependence on any meds and also learning that long term usage of the meds also create problems. 

So zero sugar first. Watching pastries and so and passing them, passing the biscuits and enduring the mental health problems without sweet. 

Measuring the rice.. down to 1/3 cup cooked rice, or 2/3 cup because the 1/3 did not make sense. 

Eating more ochro, and carilla. Some say too much ochro can complicate kidney stones. But bread, butter and ochro became a meal. Carilla did not seem to work so well. Or some varieties worked better than others. Everything steamed in a bit of water with some seasoning. Enjoying things now that I would have scorned as a child..

Yoga

And figuring out the exercise. Knowing that I needed to improve the routines and do more. Thinking of needing shoes to go walking or even running again but too much problems to get shoes with the pes cavus feet so to protect  joints. 

Find the  the yoga routines and using the asanas recommended to 'stimulate the pancreas' without really believing they would work.

 


 Also doing yoga too for impotence and then watching those asanas which were supposed to work for both impotence and diabetes.

In May the AIC is 6.1.. so I think okay not bad.. 'pre diabetic stage'

Inn August the AIC is 5.5 ... 'normal' a number which I have not seen since 2015. And I wonder if the lab is wrong.

And reading that I should not celebrate as this number is an average of HIGHs and LOWS and I need to watch that I am not see sawing.. up and down... 

and thinking that I should go drink a tin of condensed milk and then see how the sugar levels are for periods after the consumption to see how the body reacts. 

But maybe I will not do that 😊 

I do not believe that 'diabetes' can be 'reversed'.  Now I am anxious as to how to keep this number and the other numbers 'normal'.

I think that diabetes has to be managed and that every diabetic has their body chemistry to manage and check. Ochro and yoga might not work for all persons.  

I hope we can keep talking about how to manage diabetes without medications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar