Minibus wid honey, coolie bread and boil genip..

 

Bus

"I aint see you fuh a long time" bus conductor says and I could hear the smile behind the mask as we bump fists in the Covid greeting..

I jump in the front seat. Radio playing and bus driver and conductor stopping, reversing, looking for passengers and having nice back and forth conversation that kind of mellow and cool in the hot sun. Driver with cap and so.. mask on his chin .

Driver tell me jump out so passenger could come in. Tall woman, yellow tee shirt tucked in white jeans and yellow band around her afro. She says afternoon, and sits between me and driver.

Radio man talk about how to eat avocado with some crush up Club Social and put honey on it and driver say whah.. and conductor say yeah honey... you aint know honey does wuk good wid anything and we talk about what to eat honey wid and how some people have 'honey roasted chicken' on de menu board but is really bun shugah chicken.. 

Conductor ask if we never drink XM wid honey.. 

woman on the radio say how she like bread and avocado and how it yummy and driver and conductor start talk name of bread and which bread hard .. "I knock me sun head wid xxx bread and he seh he feel it.. " and you can't lef "yyy bread" for lang before it get like rock .. or "xxy tennis roll always have to have bun bottom" 

woman on the seat between me and driver sit in nice relaxed position, face staring head.. face relaxed too reminding me of the yoga videos I have been watching so I could 

driver call a name and say but dat one is bare flour and watah.. and conductor say "yeah coolie bread is always like dat flour and water" and I like eh.... conductor mussee know because he is coolie too as far as I could tell..

driver though call anodda name - a coolie name - and say dat is bread.. can't go wrong .. driver is not coolie as far as I could tell.. and the bread and the brands continue...

driver say ' but you know you never hear about genip drink' and so we talk about it as I say yeah,, it nice because I had made it .

woman on the seat between me and the driver is still seated like in meditation and calm contemplation.

Conductor said you gah fuh boil it .. but like de boil tek out de taste and conductor say nah.. when you boil it is , is drink.. when you soak in water and squeeze in juice

Woman signals that she wants to come out the bus and i come out, she steps off and walks away, slowly too, mindfully.

conductor says.. 'she walking away wid de money in she hand' and I look at the woman and she has no money in her hand.

Driver says.. 'whuh.. she aint pay " and conductor says 'no no.. ' but he makes no move to walk behind her.. he would have caught her up as she was walking in a nice slow deliberate way and the traffic was moving slower.

 Driver said .. is three women did that this week, this is a new thing.. conductor voice going yeah.. just so they walking away..

but conductor and driver talking about it without anger, talking with curisoity and wondering.. like how they talked about avocado crush with Club Social and honey must be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar