AntivirusGy 16: The joy of salsa and other things..

 

I am in the supermarket looking at the shelves of things I should not be eating and think heck yea, let me get the  two packs of the tortilla chips imported from Trinidad which I had been boycotting since I on sugar free and eating only the  plantain chips sold in small clear plastic bags by the cousin of the woman who makes them. Plantain chips sold by the woman who also offers a listening ear briefly to the 'how things question/"

There are other things I could be thinking about in the supermarket , other plans to make and so on but planning joy in the tortilla chips imported from Trinidad. I could imagine that for some would be like buying condoms.

I need to get the two packs of tortilla chips in anticipation that I will get  some more of the mango salsa that despite flood and the virus, the mango trees are bearing and so one of the beneficiaries of the trees has found a way to mix the mango with tomato, red onion, vinegar, shellot and so on  to make this salsa thing.

And so I buy the tortilla chips imported from Trinidad and hope and pray that the salsa would come and think I would leave the chips there until the salsa comes.

And the call to collect the salsa comes in the middle of a deep and meaningful conversation about alcohol in Guyana and I go out and collect the container with the lovely yellow almost gold and red.

 And while in the call I think of when I should eat the salsa and chips because my stomach can't take spicy thing in the afternoon no more because sleep would be disrupted and I think of these things while talking about alcohol problems in Guyana.

But  sleep can be disrupted by so many things and life is shorter now in the pandemic and so I say to hell with it, I will eat one pack of the tortilla chips imported from Trinidad with half the salsa made with mangoes gifted in the pandemic and floods . And leave back half to  eat the next day once I am breathing and so on and even if I am not breathing well.

And so the next day, second pack of tortilla chips, salsa and plantain chips to enjoy watching some junk TV things and think that life is shorter in the pandemic so let me find joy.

And so I realise that joy has to be planned sometimes, organised, taken from  time and experienced.  

And written about in a time of floods and pandemic and suffering because it is easy to forget joy and the little things which bring joy.

 (AntivirusGy is a collection of ramblings on things which have changed since Covid 19 entered our vocabulary)

Comments

  1. grate story for this time of the year and yummy finger licking food for the wet season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar