Good times , Namela . Hugs

 

 2003. The Gay Rights bill is coming up again to Parliament. Two years before, President Bharat Jagdeo succumbed to the prayers of Bishop Juan Edghill and his homophobic Christian crew and refused to assent to the bill. 

Durban Street PNC office. Lurlene Nestor MP has convened a forum to discuss the gay rights bill. I am standing in front of the crowd. Namela Henry at some point comes to stand next to me. Woman with gold hair and big mouth shouting at her comrades in defense of gay rights.

February 22 2021 - Namela tags me in a Facebook memory hailing up Sherlina Nageer and in memory of the Peoples Parliament and other protests. I think that I have to message Namela and catch up.. find out how things are in the pandemic how she is doing. Last time we talked was a hug and gaff on the road during her lunch hour.  We had lost touch after 2015 when her beloved party won the elections.

Good times

Always a hug. Even when we did not agree about things.

March 25 2021 - Namela dies. The big smile, voice.. gone. 

 2003 to 2012   Good times, bad times, good times , good times..

 Namela becomes one of the founder members of the Society Against Sexual Orientation Discrimination (SASOD) when it is first registered. At one point , her house is the 'registered office' of SASOD. A couple of meetings at her house as her husband Chubby to do the cooking. 

She enjoys going to the places to challenge homophobia. 'Dem gun seh I is a big lesbian, I don't care'. First Look her TV programme.. come and talk. Concerned about HIV/AIDS .


She tells me of mourning a Kissoon, "his family killed him, that boy killed himself because his family did not accept him, he used to come and cry at me'. 

Sharing the joy in the work.

And many LGBT people used to go to her for help, advice. I go through my archives and see two gay men laughing at how she used to adopt all of the "children" around.. even in her journalism field as she told me of one reporter I had some difficulties with.. 'dat is me son.. '

I get from her, generosity of spirit , even to the enemies, big mouth, opinionated as she was.. , she wasn't malicious to anyone. I don't follow her party politics and try not to talk to her during and after elections. We could talk about black and coolie and so on though.

Laugh. 

Remember her telling me to do the overland to Kaiteur Falls.. she had gone with her media colleagues -" they had to haul me up that mountain but I mek it.. "

In 2012 I resign from SASOD. Namela does not want me to resign. 

In October 2014 she sends me a copy of her resignation letter from SASOD, generously acknowledging the work we did together.

She continued to support the HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ work, to be involved in the work in different ways. We meet up , hug and so, at protests.

 Laugh and talk name while holding placards. Always generous.

 At one of the SASOD meetings before I am resign  I shout at Namela when trying to sort out a project and we are not agreeing on the way forward.  

I send an apology afterwards. Namela writes back generously.

"Dear Vidya,

 Apology accepted.I was surprised because you are always very civil and polite but I guess it was just one of those days.

Love always
Namela
"

Love always, Namela, Love always..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar