There is stardust in every word you write by Hannah Singh


 

 I've never written for a blog before, so I'm not sure what the expectations are. So I'll just jump right into sharing my experiences over a writing retreat held by a person who has been a confidante of some sorts to me, Daryll Goodchild.


It began in the last week of September, an idea birthed out of the need to do more with themselves during the lockdown.
 
 


Moving quickly on from my sporadic thoughts.

There I was, in my dining room, anxiety-ridden and absolutely frightened out of my mind at what would be expected in this new normal. What was normal anymore? Was this normal? These were all thoughts running through my head as I greeted everyone on the call with a smile and began telling them about myself.

"My name is Hannah Singh and I'm 19 years old..." were the first few words that I said. I honestly don't know why I always introduce myself with my name and age. Like yeah, name is a big part of identity but most people say age is just a number.

Number 1: Everyone on the calls throughout the different sessions passed the vibe check. Like somebody please say "GANG GANG!"

Number 2: If these things aren't numbered, they'll turn into an unorganized mess, much like the person writing this. (Is this self-shade I see?)

Number 3: Moving on from the cringey humour...I found the sessions to be highly immersive and thought-provoking in the sense that it allowed you to question yourself and allow yourself to be questioned about your writing without it seeming like an attack on the quality of your work.

Number 4: Most writers procrastinate, so it shouldn't be alarming that I am writing this blog instead of working on my entry for the Commonwealth Writers.

Number 5: No matter how many times your work is rejected, never give up. Keep being passionate in what you love and it'll work out eventually.

Number 6: EDITING is very important!!! Like seriously, not joking on this one.

Number 7: The picture is a poem I wrote that was featured in the Guyana Times for World Poetry Day this year.
 

 
 Number 8: Can't wait for future writing retreats and I hope that the group keeps growing and writing.
 
Follow Hannah on Instagram and Facebook

(This is one of a series of reflections on the first Guyanese Writers' Virtual Retreat )

Featured image sourced from Pinterest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar