Good Evenings With Good People by Saudia Changa

 

When my friend Daryll first contacted me about joining a virtual writers meeting, my first instinct was to push the idea aside. These sort of things were for people who actually wrote and shared their work, not those like me who hardly did a thing these days. 

But Daryll was insistent in that mild, encouraging manner of his and soon enough I gave in. The first session was very relaxed. A few persons attended and we got to know each other, hearty laughter and jovial comments made here and there. It was a relief to me that these people seemed down to earth and kindhearted.
 

So I occupied my Sunday evenings with a group of strangers with whom I shared a common passion. We shared and discussed pieces of our work, everyone pitching in helpful critiques and comments that would surely go a long way. I learned not to use adverbs, to show rather than simple tell of an action. I missed quite a few sessions due to my pitiful internet connection. It was quite a shame because I had grown rather fond of these nights and looked forward to our time spent together.
 

The different personalities I encountered seeped into their writing. Mr. Kissoon was brisk and to the point without being rude or standoffish, his writing followed suit. Short, simple sentences that told tales of people he had encounters with on the streets. Cosmata’s writing was as warm and friendly as her voice.  Hannah spoke with the enthusiasm her poetry encompassed, a thirst to be heard and understood. Daryll’s work was as ambitious and confident as he was, hints of grit interwoven with his words.
 

All in all, the few sessions I managed to attend were delightful, certainly a treasure for anyone who attended. I found myself thinking up plots and ideas after a long time of doubting myself and shutting down any opportunity given to me. I thank my lucky stars I decided to take up Daryll’s invitation and occupy my Sunday evenings meaningfully. 

(This is one of a series of reflections on the first Guyanese Writers' Virtual Retreat )


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar