Authenticity and value at the Writers' Retreat by Rae Wiltshire

 


 

A few weeks ago, my friend Daryll did a writing retreat. He wanted to connect writers because Guyana lacks infrastructure and there are not spaces for us. 

I attended some sessions and missed several. The most memorable occurred when someone wrote about a man who was a hunter. The writer described in detail the inner-workings of a gun and I found myself leaning in and I knew this writer had experience in this subject area. It felt too authentic to be faked. I wrote a story about a little boy’s fascination with a funeral, the story connected with everyone. Primarily, because it was authentic. The workshop reminded me of the value of being an authentic writer, not one who writes to “show off” superior prose writing and diction. I think this comes with authenticity. 


But, what stood out for me the most was a conversation I had with Daryll on the last day of the workshop. He said that I cannot come to the workshop because I am not organized and due to this, I do not make it a priority. 

He was right and I wondered if this was a mind-set I adopted because it is so hard being a creative in Guyana (not that I am excusing my actions). We have no systems that cater for us and when one of us decides to do something about it, there are lackadaisical people like me who do not see the immediate value of it. 

It really struck a chord with me because I have attempted to do something similar with film and I can see this same attitude. I excuse it because I do not see the value of my own workshop. Yet, doing a film workshop gave me the opportunity to get funding from the Commonwealth. 

Yes, I didn’t prioritize this workshop because I saw little value in it, but there was value. I was devaluing my own art because of this. Of course, Daryll did not say this, but it was how I felt. If he ever holds another, I will make a better effort to prioritize it. It is not everyday someone attempts to do something so amazing. I needed his words to reflect and for that, I am grateful.

(This is one of a series of reflections on the first Guyanese Writers' Virtual Retreat )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar