The stage teaches lessons without someone in the spotlight by Daryll Goodchild

 


If we’d have waited, it wouldn’t have been done. For years, I have heard and made the complaint about the lack of free, safe spaces that encourage creative writers in Guyana. It’s obvious that we wanted it, so why didn’t we have it?

I think that’s when I felt ashamed. Since when did the things that I wanted fall into my lap? And did I really expect them to? After making the effort to attend writing seminars, workshops and retreats online during the past few months, I realised that it would be a great idea to do it here, with our writers who experience the same issues, handle the same strain and sometimes feel just as alone as I do.

Oddly enough we have each other’s contact information, it’s just a text message or call or email away. Yet, we operate in our little bubbles and tell ourselves we are alone. I needed that to end – at least for me.

With self-centered objectives I reached out to the group. Thankfully, their responses helped me to grow that vision into something that was a little more altruistic… a little more give and take. Like all groups, we had to navigate the rocky start of not knowing our turn to speak – especially in a setting of equals. 

But I think that ended up being the area of strength.

Among a group of persons humble enough to acknowledge that they can learn from one another, the values of active listening and honest response took center stage, and I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out.

(This is one of a series of reflections on the first Guyanese Writers' Virtual Retreat )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar