AntivirusGy 12: Hash breadfruit on the tawa ...





Man asks me nicely.. so what have you been doing , are you working? And I am kind of stumped because he has been working hard even with COVID and elections , and I have been in limbo.

But thinking that nah man, be creative with something. 

Gratitude for the breadfruit which comes my way, discover that the breadfruit is bountiful.

The boil breadfruit taste nice.. but sometimes I think it could be stodgy.

Hundreds of recipes out there.. baking, frying and so.  Coconut milk, curry.. all nice. Mash and make pie and so.

I go looking to see if there is a thing like hash breadfruit.  Find Chef John from Samoa making 'Ulu hasb brown'


Boil the breadfruit, grate it, mix it with other things and fry it.

Grating the boil breadfruit is not difficult. It is different from mashing the breadfruit.  I grate it, mix it loosely with  some seasoning, and chip up a tomato. The breadfruit is soft enough, it does not need any other 'moisture'.  Vegan style!

Form some small patties but hold things loosely so that it doesn't all smash together.


First time I fried but.. it taste good, but  oily. I am not a good fryer.

So then I said.. right.. tawa time. Oil the tawa, low to medium heat..  let it brown nicely.
 
Nice smell.   Checking it and turning it gently to avoid breaking up.   This is quick.

The thing is light and nice. Not too pasty or stodgy.

The grated breadfruit mixed up seems to hold in some air, more than say mashing it and putting things in it to rise and become fluffy.

I can't tell the man though that I have been experimenting with breadfruit as that is not 'work' really.


(AntivirusGy is a collection of ramblings on things which have changed since Covid 19 entered our vocabulary)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar