AntivirusGy 8: Sweet potato roti via Mauritius


The Mauritian woman said that the white sweet potato does not hold moisture the same way. I mash it hot and realise that I need to get it moist like the orange one in the video. I feel like an expert as I try to drop the water in , little at a time.

If there was no Covid, I would have been doing some other things related to work.

A friend shared the video. First time she trying roti, and she not ordinary, going for the sweet potato roti.  But this is not like the aloo roti which is aloo in place of dhal in the dhal puri.

Hot mashed sweet potato.  , with flour and a drop or two of water. It comes together nicely in the basin. I use my hands, the chef said don't knead it too much. I roll in the log, cut the pieces , make the rounds. I roll it out , and it is round, flour there on the surface to stop the sticking. I am rolling carefully , hoping it would not break up. It doesn't

I remember my Nanee , back in the days when Burnham banned flour, that she used to grate cassava to mix with flour to make a kind of sada roti.

Tawa. She said medium heat and I put low heat. I start to panic when I see the thing browning, but no bubbling, but turn the heat lower. Some bubbling

I am like.. wait wait.. will it raise.. oh man.. (of course one of hers swells nicely in the video).

But the brown is not burn. Flipping gently. Take it off when I think it is done, put some butter on it.

It seems to fold in a way.

My friend has said 'chewy' but edible.

I break it, and yep, slightly chewy, rubbery, but soft. Nice.

And very very very edible. And looking nothing like the one from Mauritius but still nice to eat.





(AntivirusGy is a collection of ramblings on things which have changed since Covid 19 entered our vocabulary)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar