AntivirusGy 2 : Spraying our hands in the minibus



'Aye, come in , is nah churchroad you going'.. the bus driver asks me, red mask hanging around his neck like an accessory.   First time I had traveled with him , I had asked about loud music and turning it down and he had turned it down and turned it up back at me while looking at me with a half smile.


Always speeding and dodging and weaving.  And always stopping, no matter how loud the music - and even if I tap my head and tap my heart and my ears to say that I aint able with music, he always insists.. man come in ,

The last time he said "De police remove de box dem, music arite man, come in, come in'

We don't talk much else.

Saturday morning, music not so bad.   I say 'you bus look full' . he said.. nah man , look is two to a seat.

Public health guidelines had said half the passengers in a bus and no conductor.  Some bus drivers wearing masks. Some bus conductors wearing masks.

So I jump in . My face masked sitting two to a seat behind a woman who replied morning and who is not wearing a mask.. I hope she doesn't cough or sneeze.

She picks up a spray bottle from the seat and sprays her hand.  I ask her if is the bus own, and she said yes.  She gives me the bottle and I spray some too.  Connection in the minibus, antivirus times.. spraying our hands.

Bun de virus coming over the speakers.. Bun de virus.  

Bus man dodging and weaving.  Roll of bounty on his dashboard.  

He stops for a woman  standing next to  a full polythene square bag on the ground  He comes out the bus, helps her bring the bag in the bus.  Woman comes in sprays her hand. She looks relieved to get the help from the driver. The bus is on the seat.

I shift in my seat.. the bag from the ground to the seat. Antivirus time and now everything is a potential source of disease.

Bus driver reaches into the window.  The woman gives him the spray bottle, and he hooks it on the back of the seat.

He asks me to reach behind me, a yellow spray bottle on the seat.  He hooks it on the back of my seat.

I have not seen any other spray bottles in any other bus.

Music still loud, bus dodging and weaving. 

I collect change from him, stumble out with my bags and so, and think to give him an extra tip for the sanitiser and so.

He speeds off before the door closes and I could say anything.



(Antivirus Gy is a collection of ramblings on things which have changed since Covid 19 entered our vocabulary )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar