Gay love, tangerine limes and Guyana's Elections 2020


Gay love
Settling down with coffee and about to delete the mass messages and I see a hail up from a man, an intelligent man, and I not sure what to say in response because I aint able talk about who elections and so. The man though, is not talking about elections but his struggles with his sexuality and emotional attractions to other men.  And as far as I know, this man has been dealing with these struggles since the PNC was first in power, then through the PPP and now again under the PNC.

But he says, he manages, everyone has personal struggles and this is his own one.. and while a lot of people anxious about elections.. gay love is on this man's mind.  And I imagine all the people at all the rallies, and in the lines to vote and on facebook flaring up.. do the elections provide some kind of temporary distraction from their personal struggles?

Do the gay PPP supporters and the gay PNC supporters forget about their gayness and  homophobia and how the love is forbidden and that none of the political parties want them to get married to show the love even if some of the parties have no problem with the sex part?




Tangerine limes
Woman tells me to take 3 tangerine limes for $200. She also has long limes, seedless limes, ranpoor limes .

I like tangerines and I like the nice round limes, mix sounds good. I cut them, brilliant orange /tangerine colour, juicy.  The juice though, tastes  nothing like I imagine a mix of tangerine juice  and lime juice to be. The woman has been kind to me throughout my troubles though, and our transactional exchanges include therapy. And I tell her when the stuff I have bought is not good, she trusts me and replaces them.

I imagine love is like that, you could talk and so, and tell problems, and fix things.



Guyana's Elections 2020
Sunday and road is easy. Minibus stops and a young woman opens the door. She smiles slightly. She is breastfeeding a baby. I think she is a passenger. But she is sticking arm out, knocking the bus, taking the fare. She is a different race from the driver.  I am sitting too far back to ask her questions.


In times of elections, when some people like inter-racial marriages,  I like seeing inter-racial  minibus- conductor combinations.. I suspect some minibuses and conductors spend more time together than couples

She opens the door , a man wearing a tee shirt of a political party. He looks in the bus, like he can't make up his mind. Conductress still has baby in her arm. Man decides he not coming in the bus, she closes the door. I aint see nothing wrong in the bus, no music or anything, seats available.

No other political party flags and plenty minibuses and cars and so have political party flags on them as they speed around, play loud music, stop where they not supposed to and so on. So many flags around, you can't miss them.


 I see a video where some men try to deal with a baby at risk. The baby's home has the flag of the political party flying (not the Guyana flag).  I imagine if the political parties had put things like 'Don't speed, stay alive to vote for.. ' or 'Look after your children,  and come and vote.. " or 'Keep Guyana clean and vote for "

But the political parties in their loving, don't really expect their lovers to do anything more than just vote for them.  Just like how any attempt to say to the lovers who vote, that it is okay to demand that the people you love are accountable and will work for you, and will be better versions of themselves , rather than just 'accept them as they are'.



But Elections in Guyana are not about love, never about love.

And I remember another elections, more hatred as GECOM took its time, and a message from a former loved one who has shunned me for most of the time we have known each other. In the practice of doing love in the time of division, I respond, make no mention of shunning,  and to offer help which I think is needed. It wasn't needed though.  And the shunning resumed until it paused and then resumed again, usually when I try to ask for accountability. At one time of connection, I offered a piece of the orchid plant , but have never been able to find out if the orchid bloomed. Still, the orchid has a bloom in my yard .. I responsible for my own love, and no one else's.

And so it is with the voters, who vote, and are disappointed and are told that the expectations are too much. Crime is being solved a man tells me, just after telling me about how men in a car rob a young woman who is walking on the road. Crime is not stopping though.  And people ask .. 'I aint see you pun de road, I aint see you picketing and so on.. '  

If only elections in Guyana could mean that kind of love, which moves beyond the choosing and the marriage at voting time, to dealing with expectations and accountability and so on throughout the marriage, because just like the man who inboxed me, and so many others, I think the experience and expectations of love are universal.

Or maybe they are not.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar