Fearing, greeting men on bikes ....


Going to work

Two men on a motorbike shot and killed Ofredis (sp Otredis) Duarte Campos while he was on his way to work.  Going to work should not be life threatening. Some men on bikes and motorbikes  think differently.


A man who was not on a bike stabbed and robbed Robeena Zaman while she was on  her way to work.

A man on a motorbike robbed a woman in my street while she was on waiting on her employers to open the gate.  Men on bikes also robbed a security guard on his way to work.  A man on a motorbike snatched the camera from a tourist one afternoon as he was taking out pictures of Christ Church on Waterloo Street.


A few years ago, two men on bikes robbed me on my way to work. One of them showed me a knife in his waistband while the other one took my stuff. Young men on bikes robbed me on the seawall a long time ago. Another night, two men on bikes robbed me on my way home.  I can't remember if crime was on the increase or decrease then, I remember the futility of making the reports to the police, and wondering why I was frozen and could not fight back.

The Minister of Public Security, Khemraj Ramjattan , said that crime is not on the increase. He is not vulnerable to men on bikes or motorbikes robbing him on his way to work. The increase/decrease in crime makes no difference to people who have to be alert and watchful while they walk down the road.

I walk down the road, night, day watching men on bikes , men in motorbikes and tensing up waiting in case they are ready to rob.  Looking in front of me, looking behind me.

One night a friend rode up behind me, and touched my shoulder. I turned around, hollered, and was about to hit him when I realised who he was.

Greetings..
Road was quiet, nice clear blue sky, hot sunshine, . I see the two men riding towards me, caps shielding their faces, one wearing a bright pink shirt. My shoulders tense up, breathing deeper in case of anything. I hear "Kissoon, kissoon.. " from the man wearing the bright pink shirt. Two contractors who work in the area going home.

I see another man riding and weaving through traffic. He looks at me, I say 'arite boss', he says 'yeah bro' and rides past.  

I on walking on a one way street, one or two cars passing, no one else.   A young man, shades, hair in two braids, riding towards me, 'wrong direction'. I square up shoulders, ready for anything and say 'Good afternoon' . 
I hear the quiet voice,, sounding almost childish,  'Good afternoon, uncle' as he passed me in the wrong direction.

I kept walking away, I didn't look back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar