Baigan, bus drivers and the 10 things I could have written for the 10th anniversary of the blog



Night is hot , and mind is things other than writing random  blogs.  10 years and 1100 posts which include some stuff written elsewhere and posted here for keeping even though the blog could disappear if Google disappears.

Life has changed, thinking I should write something now before the 10th anniversary just passes instead of waiting to write some wonderful grand thing.  And as I think of what I could have written...

  1. I could have written about cooking  Baigan.. and cooking the baigan with carrots, tomato, sweet pepper, bandaniya, thyme, pepper on a strange afternoon when I was tired, and in a space during the futility of the caregiving and when the Baigan tasted good, and remembering the maghmour . I could have written about shifting clouds and fatigue and trying to experiment and be creative in the cooking, and that in the 10 years, the writing
  2. I could have written about how when I started writing the blog, I did not know I would have written about food, and that in fact I had no clue what I would be writing about  and that is the thing about the blog, the sheer freedom to write about anything  - love (64 posts), art (5 posts) food (54 posts), minibus (57 posts) and wellness and the pursuit of wellness (364 posts) and how I try not to write about things like "The past/present/future of Guyana or the world in General"
  3. I could have written about writing the blog, about the whole thing of finding a picture to be the featured image because I feel I have to write something , say something which is of no real importance  , of writing things which I would not talk to people about because writing the blogs is more about   talking  in a therapy session
  4. I could have written about the random feedback to the blog - from unexpected places . I could have written about how writing the blog is like writing so that no one is reading, unlike say writing the short story, and that there is this mixed feeling not giving a damn and writing like no one is reading, and then the pleasure of knowing that people are reading.
  5. I could have written about the bus driver who changed the music when he realised the lyrics were part of the anti-woman tirade of many of the singers.  Of the drivers - black, coolie, mixed who keep fiddling with the sound system , pressing next next next and wondering if they ever thought of the effort to keep some music which uplifts and if they ever talk to each other about the stupidity of playing nasty dutty music to 'attract customers , especially children.. and of people who are doing useless things which do not have to be done.. I could have written how I asked the driver to keep gospel but that I shut up when I realised that the man was struggling with the music system on a busy morning. And that I probably should have praised him for searching for good music as he drove the minibus and looked for passengers. I could have written about how I have had to close my ears, to filter out things, to survive, to get to where I am going, which might be nowhere really.
  6. I could have written about how I opened my ears and realised the languages.. the Arabic of the food sellers, the Malayalam of the nurses, the Kreyòl   of the men in front of me in the supermarket line, and the Spanish of the women behind me . I could have listened and probably heard Chinese and Portuguese too if I kept walking. And I could have written about Guyana is changing.
  7. I could have written about not understanding what makes a hit like the  the letter to the Minister, with 10,000 hits  2009 Prize Giving speech with 6,000 hits and which gets hits as people search for Prize Giving speech and I imagine that there this is probably the most useful post.
  8. I could have written about the joy of writing things which less than 100 people read like the yoga of making people laugh
  9. I could have written about the things which I have not written like the cane juice man who asked me one day 'like the heat got you bad' and when I said I wish I was dead - it was one of those days - of how we talked about living when you sometimes want to be dead and laughing as we talked about the reasons for not pursuing suicide including the consequences of failure. I could have written about the importance of these random conversations with strangers as social connections have dropped off in the last year or so.
  10. I could have written about standing up near the doubles vendor and listening to people 'trying it out' and thinking of the people who trying out the street food like arepas and empanadas and what possibilities there are in trying new things 
..  but who knows .. I may still write about them




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar