Minbus driver and conductor making love with the sweet orange ...



1pm. Place hot, quiet. Road empty as it is around this time on week days.
Minibus moving slow.  Man driving.  Woman conducting.  Bag of oranges hang up on the back of the front seat. No passengers

I jump in the front seat.  Say good afternoon, and hear the response.. quiet and slow like the afternoon.

No music. Bus moving slow to get passengers.

I smell the citrus. Not like air freshner. Nice cloud coming up.

I think these must be oranges and limes and so mix up.

Man murmuring.. anybody coming deh? She going..

Women replying softly.. nah.. nobody.. she aint going..  Is nice how they talking to each other.


I wonder if they are together because I know some other married men and women who working bus who order each other around.. 'Girl, you gotta look where you going.' Aye don't drive the bus yet..
'Where we buying food today..'.. you know they married because the lovey dovey stuff don't talk and is only bus business.

Bus driving slow.. like they enjoying each other company I think rather than looking for passengers
Bus stops at traffic light

Woman then tells man.. look tek yuh knife and cut the orange.


She hands the man a peeled orange, with a sharp dagger knife like. I realise she was peeling the orange behind me. I wonder if she kept the orange skin in the bus.

Man smiles and talks with a nice indulgent tone.. you can't cut the orange.. as though he play play vex.

Woman said.. i aint want that knife cut me hand.. with a nice playful tone...

'Keep half' the conductor tells the driver..

Driver cuts the orange. I staring ahead so I don't see if he lick the juice from his hands. He pass the knife and the two orange halves back...

'You sure you aint want a half'..
He says nah.

Bus moving off...

No passengers really, so woman must be eating the orange.

'I glad you aint keep half' ' the woman says.. , dis orange sweet bad bad...
nice tone.. playful and so, lovey dovey.. like if she would still give him the half if he said he wanted it.

Man half smile and so.. .. "yeah , it sweet nah.."  .. in the tone that say that he dont mind that the woman eating the whole sweet orange.




Bus stops at traffic light.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar