Genip and laziness...



The genip is dry and "huksy' , sweetness coming only if you roll it around long in your mouth and then try with the teeth to squeeze out any juice. I knew it would be dry but hoped still . Genip man passing every day including Sundays. Something about the man, young, today wearing a hot pink tee shirt, pushing the trolley.

Some days the genip is 'in yuh mout, out yuh mout' .. melting before you could turn the seed and your mouth fulling up before you could swallow all the sweet juice. Some days the genip not like that.

This genip season, I hear the genip man pass and I tell him, hey hey, and I come down and buy a hundred dollar worth. It is movement, I do it as a habit now .

So today when I am sitting down, not wanting to move, feeling exhausted , tired.. thinking that I am lazy that I should do like the women especially who keep moving , doing things, no matter what bothering them.

So genip man come and I buy the dry huksy sweet and I say right, let me eat them out first and then I will resume work. I don't taste and buy because I feel like it is not a good thing to reject the man who is working, walking, moving, selling. .who is not lazy.

I read somewhere the genip could make you sleep good and I wonder if the genip will just make me more lazy on the hot afternoon.

I start feeling guilty. I say right, get up.. go sort out the papers lying around for days. I take a genip in my mouth and roll it around as I pack the papers.

Last two genip in my mouth as I sweep the yard and having to make sure that I don't swallow the seed as I bend my head and so.

Genip in my mouth as I contemplate wiping the windows.. they needed wiping for a long time. I keep looking at them, next week, next week.. no point now, it is the rainy season..  and I finish the genip before wiping the windows because I know that it would be awkward with dirty hands on the genip going in my mouth to break.

So I did work, didn't finish everything. I might be lazy, or I might be tired though it would be difficult to describe.. tired doing what.

I don't know if the dry husky genip which needed strength and willpower and determination to pull out the sweetness had anything to do with me overcoming some of my laziness today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar