"I will change myself, I can't change anyone else".. Groundings 8 March, 2019


When the photographer Hilton Chan is the subject of the photo

Poems shared in hearts made from newspapers

"Rodney bunnin' up in his grave.. "

"So yall is WPA" the man asked us when we explained what Groundings meant and that Walter Rodney went into communities to talk about African history. "Rodney must be bunnin' up his Grave with all the f..k..ery that going on now.. ".  We laughed.. not only people in the grave bunnin' up.. even people outside the graves fed up.

The man said it was  a good thing to come out and share books. He wanted marketing books. He said that he reads every day, and sometimes he listens to audio books 'when I am  helping my mother wash wares.."  We were on the corner of Main and Quamina Streets.

"No time to read.."
"I don't have time to read.." the cheerful 13 year old boy said. He was still looking for books though.. "I will keep for when I have time". He took Julius Caesar.. raising his arm up in the Roman salute..  

His friend did not bother to take any books.  A girl from a primary school did not have a problem, she found three books. She was on her way to the library to return another one.

One or two other adults said the same thing.. no time to read.

Some people just looked at us like we were mad.. usual thing.

"What's this.. "
"What's this.. where is the heart?" the woman smiled as she turned the newspaper origmai heart over.

She was more interested in the newspaper heart than in the poem. I thought I would explain.. I am taking mostly bad news and folding it into hearts to share out.

The woman unfolded the paper.. that particular heart had been folded from a Sunday Chronicle feature 'Government in Action. ".. She went to take a book but didn't bother to speak to me again..


"That is the ting I don't do.."
"That is the thing I don't do..." the woman said wistfully.. "I don't look after meh self.. I feeling tired and so.. " She smiled as we talked about self care, joining the clinic, getting tests done. It seems she had not talked about this before with anyone. "I look after my sister.. she died in January.. ".. we talked about when grief and stress knock you after the event
 "I agree.. I gun see about going to the clinic " she smiled as she walked off with a book .

I  wonder if she will go and do the checks.

Another woman said.. "now the children get big, is my time now. I look after myself.

She had just completed some dental treatment.

"Prayers.. "
 "I pray a lot, I go to Assemblies. " a woman said as she talked about what she does to look after herself. "I spent an hour just now in the hospital looking for a patient.. ".  Most of the men said they prayed too, 'I get up .. I do my devotions first.. then everything else" .
Another man, was serious.. " I get up, walk in the park.. exercise. Try to eat good, Cut out sugar, soft drinks and try to tell people, children especially, stop with the sweet drinks"


"I will change myself "
"I will change myself, I can't change anyone else.." the 26 year old Rasfarian told me. I asked him what he does to look after himself. "I am a farmer.. plant organic, eat healthy.. "

He picked up a book.. "I read anything man, obeah book, Gita, Bible, anything.. ".  We talked about his life philosophy. Language is lyrical. I am translating here. "There is no second person.. we talk about I and I"
He seemed content except "Police like to harass me.. looking for herb and so.. I smoke the herb.. "

We talked about family. He hoped I would find a wife.  He said he not worried for himself, when the time comes. Meanwhile, he learning more, seeking knowledge. He no longer fights, walks away from insults.
"I used to see antimen.. you  know.. dis dem. now , everybody is like me. ... we all on we path.. .. lesbian and dem ting been about since the beginning of time.. is one love"

We talked about dealing with some of the social problems.

"I working on changing myself.. I can't change anyone else.. yall doing a good thing, out here.. sharing books and knowledge"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar