Mental health and Elmer's Wood Glue..


The chairs had been made by an excellent woodworker. Some of them started loosening up early.  We had to be careful when people , on rare occasions would take them to sit.

I bought the Elmer's Wood Glue in 2015.   One of those random crazy things when I imagined I could fix things.

I could never get around to fixing the chairs. There was no urgency and it was always overwhelming. I would be brush and clean the chairs, try to fix them together and hope they stayed that way.

They looked  stable even though they were disjointed, broken. Like I do sometimes.

Somewhere deep inside, I feel the time has come to fix the chairs even though they will not be used much. I don't trust the glue to hold them together but at least I can move them around without having to push in bits and pieces.

The chairs have to be taken apart. The mortice and tenons have to be dusted and cleaned.  I can't believe that I am doing this.  One video I watched said to remember to brush the sides of the tenons with the glue.

I don't have a brush, so I am using a contraption of a pointer (coconut broom stem).  The instructions say to clamp for half an hour.

I have to take my time. There is a nice breeze blowing. I mix up some of the pieces and have to start over.

Some of the joints don't seem to fit in neatly. 

Knocking in one part seems to loosen other parts, so there is this whole thing of holding all the parts together while trying to find the right fit.

It will not be the same.

But as with some fixes, the chairs seem to hold together, maybe the glue bonds stronger than the wood.

It took a long time to get here. Maybe other things will be fixed in due course.





I don't have a clamp and I read about the web clamp,  using rope. 





Something though, about it is time to get my act together. 


I had fixed a broken bell with the glue. I hope I can fix other things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar