Lesson on humility from the rude minibus conductor


Rain is set up and I stand up on the roadside pushing my hand and finger in a southward direction.. It looks kind of mad to any person to mars but actually this is the sign to tell the oncoming bus that you want to go on the Railway Line.  I don't trust the communication though and I always ask for confirmation..
Rain is drizzling now and bus stops.. 'You going on de line' I ask as the conductor opens the door.

"You aint see de driver stap, is why you tink he stap?" the conductor asked while the woman hugging him up almost look at me with a kind of eye like I mussee stupid, while also looking kind of lil shame at the conductor rudeness.

I jump in the bus and shoutl Thank you sir, and morning everybody and I notice driver smiling lil bit.

I say.. I does ask, because I know finger jukking might mean different thing for everybody and I try to sound calm and nice and not start a story because rain started falling and I wasn't feeling so principled that I wanted to get soak.

I was also on my way to a satsangh.

Driver smiling still.  Exchange done with conductor as bus speeding down the line.

I give him the hundred, the usual fare, he give me back $20.. I think to keep it for his rudeness but then seh.. nah.. I know that when I get ask the same question two or three times, I start snapping at people if I am not in a good mood and I start to laugh at how God does sometimes come.

So he take the $20 from  me without saying anything.  As I come out of the bus, rain coming and he says 'look a bus shelter over deh, you could go an shelter..


Sermon at the satsangh was about Humility.. and not the suppression of ego, but the liberation from it Humility is not weakness, the swami said in teh video clip it is strength, and it is powerful. It is not about being inferior or being afraid, but also not about winning or wanting to be superior.

IN the moment I choose not to cuss the conductor, there is a realisation that me and he is really one (and not just in a bus on a rainy day).  I don't have any expectation of him or that he would think that I am a nice person because I insist on paying him a $100 instead of $80 after his rudeness..

In the satsangh, I found myself saying thanks for the conductor .. sometimes my soul bonding with drivers and conductors could end up with me not going in a bus.One or two buses now pass me straight because I talk too much about music and so.

I asked someone for forgiveness recently for harm which I had caused to them. The person did not reply. The relationship is dysfunctional and as I realised today, that the person is probably in my life to adopt some of the values of detachment while understanding that even if we no longer talk to each other, we are still one.

Now to make this nice feeling last forever...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar