Joy of not-roasted butternut squash on de stove top..


Man said that the butternut squash was $160 a lb.. 'the farmer I buy from does sell to supermarket and suh".. and I wondered what I would do with it because I aint able light up oven and waste gas just to roast lil bit squash.

A farmer had told me that there was no market in Guyana really for butternut squash and I remembered the last time I bought , it was from a guy who had tried a thing but was not intending to plant more. He was selling butternut squash and mangoes and so on the pavement near GTM in Georgetown.

The other times I saw it in 'supermarket' , it was a lil pricey though on reflection the price of one butternut was the price of almost two milkshake sometimes  and then I wonder really about the value for my money.

So I look around for recipes.. and find that butternut squash is a nice 'winter vegetable' that is roasted first and then cooked into soup, pasta, mashed up as a side dish, make curry, make dhal , and so.

A vegan man I know had roasted a whole one for Christmas and apparently the non-vegan people eat it more than the carcass that was available (I am not a vegetarian).

And then I see that some people have felt like me, how to do the thing on the stove top.

So , I cut up the squash into 'cubes'.. though smallish pieces. I should have kept the seeds too.

I fry up the onion, garlic, wiri wiri pepper, and a lil bit of whole geera.. well just because.. I think of how pumpkin nice with geera but then butternut squash is NOT pumpkin.

Then I throw in the pieces and kind of try to fry it a bit.. and throw in lil turmeric to mek the thing more yellow. There was no need, I had forgotten that butternut squash gets more orange as it cooks.
I had some tomato to throw in too.

I throw in a lil bit water.. to kind of give the squash a lil start to cook.. but I probably did not need to do it.

Then I covered the pan, turned the heat low, low, to the lowest and left it for about 30 minutes.

I opened the lid, and realised that I probably did not need to add so much water at the beginning .. so left the thing on high heat for the water to dry out.

I sprinkle some nutmeg on it.. just because..

I put a piece in my  mouth when it cool and the thing is sweet and nice, and heavy.. like smooth rich sweetness.... I mean.. butternut squash is not pumpkin.

The thing taste just like when it roast in the oven.  It could eat just suh., with nothing else.

I hope the Guyanese will buy and cook it so the farmers could grow it more and so.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar