The luxury of saving an old shorts with cheap elastic..


"You sure this is what you want...?" the woman asked me hastily.

I wasn't sure what I wanted. There was narrow elastic and wide elastic.

"How much do you want? Is $46 a metre..."

I say one metre.. still not sure what I would do.

The shorts was in good condition. Material strong, stitching strong. The elastic for some reason had gone.

I could convert it into some floor cloth or something. But the material is still strong and the stitching strong.

I can't let go of it.

I have no sewing machine. It is not something to carry to a tailor.

There are more important things in life to sort out and fix.

I have not sorted out or been able to fix or save any of the important things.

Maybe I can save this old shorts.

I go online to see how to sew on elastic by hand.

Not much there. I get that I have to stretch the elastic around my waist and see.
There is a bit less than the one metre.

I wonder if I should stretch it more and fool myself that the waist is not as large as it is.

I find a rusty safety pin and put it on the elastic at the point and cut.

I stitch up the elastic ends.
I remember the needlework teacher, Ms Sealy.. I wonder where she is now.. her bangles used to jangle when she wrote on the blackboard.

A backstitch is better than a knot for holding down.

I put a knot. And try a backstitch to make sure.

I see somewhere that I have to fit the elastic like a ring around the waist of the old shorts.

I turn it inside out. The Material is strong. I don't bother with ripping out the old elastic.. it is too much work ..

I want a quick fix.

Most of the things I could not fix or save took longer.

I gather up a bit and use some more rusty safety pins.

I had thought of just using a safety pin on the shorts but had bad experience of the pin opening and boring me.

A woman starts chatting with me. I b ring the needle, thread, scissors close to the computer.

Stitching .  stop to type in the messenger window.

The woman does not know i am stitching.

The needle is going all over the place.

I know that this might not work. That I should do another kind of stitch which might take longer and require more focus.

I have time, I could do it better. I could do better things with the my life.

Like fixing and saving other things in life without thinking of those which were not fixed and are not saved.

I keep going. Stop. Read the message, type a reply.

The woman is experiencing difficulties at work, and in her community.
No easy solutions . No elastic.

I cut some thread. Re Thread the needle. Go again.
Three times.
I know this is not the stitch to use, but it works.

The elastic look like it would not survive more than one or two washes. I had used another elastic which was in another pants as a string through the waist and that has survived many years.

I eventually reach the end.

The old shorts feel as good as new. Fit nice and comfortable and it not falling down.

Time well spent.

Saved.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar