Operation Guyana Granadilla/Barbadine...


Decide to do the sugar control thing and walk from Sports Hall round the corner to Duncan Street to catch the bus. Sun is hot and place humid for the rain

I see a car with a stand. Woman , man, two children. I see from a distance that the stand has kowa. And a kind of roundish yellow pinkish fruit which I thought was passion fruit.

A Trini friend had told me about the whole granadilla 'bah bah dine' punch thing.

I ask the family what it was and they said 'grandiee..' pronouncing the two ll's like the French ll. Woman said $200 for one, 3 for $500.

I contemplate this. I had not heard of the punch before or eaten. Is a new thing. Try it small. I say I don't have change and I find 180 for the one.

I ask her how to do the drink. She  laughed and said, cut it, eat the seeds and peel off the yellow skin. The white thing you blend with milk, ice and sugar. 'Not too much water.. '

I ask her if I have to strain.. soursop is labour intensive like that and I not feeling like going and strain and pulp through no drink now. She said nah man.. you gun see.

On the way home , place hot bad. I stop at cane juice man. He said he have nice watermelon and ginger juice 'Try it , you gun like it..' .. so I try one and it wuk good. Watermelon and ginger. I have the grandilla on my mind.

I decide to go and see how the Trinis do it.  
Their fruit look bigger. She talk about aroma and so.  She put condensed milk as well. I have been good, no condensed milk in the house.





I decide to peel the fruit before I cut it open like the recipe. The thing open out and the membrane sac is amazing. Slight pinkish. The part near the stalk is hardfor some reason.

The pulp is nice and white. No aroma as such though. Very delicate. Not like passion fruit. The recipe say to mash out the seeds and get the pulp and get strainer and so. I taste the seeds.. they have a nice light flavour, and refreshing. Before I know it, I eat out all the seeds. No strainer needed.

I put a bit of milk and the pulp in the blender. The woman had strained it. The membrane is still there and too annoying to peel off. I blend the lot and it is nice and smooth and thick and creamy.

 I say.. no need for strainer then.

Throw in ice, some sugar, cinammon. nutmeg. I feeling like Caricom unity now. Recipe from Trinidad, nutmeg from Grenada.

I put in a few drops vanilla essence.. in Caribbean essence is in most things is a surprise it not in the national anthems and in curry.

Throw the thing out and taste it, and it is nice,, tasty. The 10 year old say it smell better than it taste .. but he take some more.He want to know if this is healthy stuff and I thought well if i had put banana or mango instead of the sugar maybe.

I shoudl have strained it though as there are some bits and pieces in it .. but not bad.

I should have bought all three for 500. Sun too hot for me to go back and find the family though.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar