Mauby, nuts, man sitting on a bench and reading a book

Saturday afternoon, Place is humid. Umana Yana was dim for the showing of the films. The place is bright. High Street is clear. No traffic, nobody is walking

I decide to walk to the next venue of the films- Dutch Bottle Cafe on North Road.

Sun is not too bright, Slight breeze. Thinking of the road and how fast I could make it.

Walking purposefully on the pavement  which is no longer smooth but up and down to accomodate different bridges and trees and other obstacles. The pavement is like a stretch of rug on some bumpy floor. Legs start to hurt a bit.

I think this is a good time for a robber to come up. I tend to think like a robber when walking some spots. I see a girl and a boy laughing. They seem to racing over the bridge and coming down.

If someone robbed them, I don't know what I would do.

There are no cars.

I reach Ministry of Finance. Trees give nice shade on the smooth avenue. A police vehicle passes. There isn't much traffic.

We had protested VAT here , VAT is still there though.
There are some nice flowers at the side of the avenue. You could stroll here, but I am on a purposeful kind of walk.

A man is sitting on a bench. Reading.
I think he mussee a mad man, he isn't dressed too neatly. Kind of like me.  I try to see the title of the book. He has the book open like half way. The title is 'Speeches of... ' somebody. " He doesn't look up when I pass him.

I thought of the Groundings and books.

There aren't other people on the pavement.  I contemplate ice cream from the Creme Select place but I am already feeling messed up about the sugar and the calories.

The avenue is empty.. a shame we don't live in a society and culture which would have had some nice cultural festival thing and have the place lively during the off peak hours.

I see the man selling carvings on one side near Courts. Miss Roxane is knitting near her stand. Mauby stand. The mauby is good. Miss Roxanne is always doing something with her hands . She laughs when she sees me ' I aint see you, or hear about you for a long time'

I take a $200 mauby. It is cold. Sealed plastic bottle. Maurice Bishop had talked about the US propaganda in Grenada creating a coca cola society.

The mauby is sweet. I refuse the straw. I is a big man, drink from bottle, don't use straw.
It is not easy to walk fast and sip from the bottle. You have to stop, take a sip, walk some more.

I wanted to ask Miss Roxanne what would happen to her mauby business if people get sugar conscious. Maybe they would do like me and say to hell with sugar consciousness and drink the mauby. As people tell me .. 'we gotta dead of someting'.

I cross over the library. I see a studious looking man. He reaches out and shakes my hand. 'When yall coming out with the books again.. I looking for Dan Brown'. ..
 I tell him I don't know, that the library has.. he says no . he wants to keep a collection.

I debate whether to turn or to keep walking down church street. I turn to get to North Road. Some days the traffic is crazy here. It is empty.

I walk on the nice smooth flat pavement. I see a man and woman talking. I wonder what they are talking about.

I keep walking down, mauby going down. The mauby is getting less cold, still nice though.. but warm mauby is not nice like  cold mauby. I am trying to drink it fast while it cold, while drinking it slow so I could enjoy it because mauby shouldn't be gulped like water.

I feeling to crunch something. I want to get some plantain chips to eat while I watch the film. I contemplate diverting to Robb Street, i got some fantastic chips from a man on Robb and Wellington I think. The pack was lighter though than some of the others for $100.

I decide to walk straight, because there is another vendor at the corner of North Road and Camp Street.

I walk.. and reach Camp Street. I see the bus shed, and then .. there is no vendor... Shoots, no plantain chips.

Sip the last of the mauby.. still nice and cold. Cross the road and contemplate the chocolates from the candy story but my feet keep moving. North Road is busy now.

Where to throw the empty bottle. There are no bins. I then see one and crush the bottle and throw it in the bin.

Reach the market and think that I should get fruits instead.. but fruits don't crunch the same way during films. End up buying a half pound of raw nuts. Raw nuts though don't give the same satisfaction as the plantain chips.

North Road is crazy near the market. You can't really walk straight and purposefully. You have to dodge traffic. I have been grazed by passing cars before. It is too late to find an alternative route.

It is no longer relaxing to walk.. you have to pay attention.  Two corners and it eases up.

I see a woman who tells me nobody is there yet at Dutch Bottle. I am sweating in the humidity. The mauby is in the stomach. I start nibbling on the raw nuts.

I reach where I am going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar