Aye Indian....


Walking on Church Street in nice Georgetown, and a black man dressed in nice long sleeved shirt, pants and shoes passes me. He has a book in his hand.

We make eye contact, I dip my head in a greeting.
My head is not good and I forget people and faces so I nod in default.

He looks back and says in a Bollywood English accent 'Aye, Indian... '

I turn around. he continues.'.. you from Bangladesh or Pakistan.." in the stronger accent

 I tell the man, Nah.. I from right hey'

The man comes up.. stretches out his hand.. 'What is your name?"

I say 'Vidya'..

He said.. "Me Mugabe..., glad to meet you".. we shook hands and he walked off..

I  laughed.. South Asian politics.. India, Bangladesh, Pakistan.

It happens often.. people think I am not from Guyana. Fortunately, I have no yearning to own Guyana or anywhere else or I might have been traumatised every time I am asked.

Sunday 12 March 2017, after many Guyanese were lauded for their racial love and harmony and playing Phagwah and some like me didn't bother.. two men , Vernon Beckles and Dameion Gordon, were beaten in Canal No 1 Polder.

The men said that the attackers used racial slurs during  the attack

The injustice was further intensified when the La Grange Police Station locked the men up and treated them badly.

People are justifiably angry and upset. The racism is condemned and social media comments are unrestrained.

The violence though, is not condemned the same way.. because when black
people beat up black people or coolie people beat up coolie people , and not use racial slurs, it is apparently okay.

Vigilante behaviour..

In 2008, citizens from Bare Root beat and killed Radika Singh. There were no protests or outrage and no one was charged for her murder. Radika Singh was mentally ill.

In 2013,  citizens in Sophia killed Nigel Lowe.  His body was found on a pyre.

There was not the same outrage as the Canal beating. In other parts of the country, there were other incidents of 'public-spirited' citizens attacking and killing alleged criminals.





In 2008, I wondered about going and picketing and praying and vigil-ing with Bare Root, but had no courage then.

In 2013, I tried to find out if there was anything outside people could do about Sophia but was told no no.

The Guyana Police Force have not said anything yet about the attack in Canal.


I hope that the attackers of Vernon Beckles and Dameion Gordon face justice.

I will do what I can as a citizen to ensure that it happens.

The Guyana Police Force has to deal with the madness at the La Grange Police station , and the investigation into the incident. 

I hope that the Crime Chief finds the people who killed Nigel Lowe and Radika Singh.

I know people will think I am foreign for believing that with or without racial slurs, all vigilante behaviour should be condemned.

I have violent fantasies and I could see myself attacking anyone who is coming to attack or maim me. I don't expect the mob to do that for me though.

Racism and Guyana
I try to work against all prejudice. My own especially. I am successful sometimes in challenging, sexism , homophobia and racism. Most times I am not.

The Coalition Government has not activated the Ethnic Relations Commission. That is the Constitutional body which is responsible for dealing with race and ethnic relations in Guyana. I don't care how much people say that the coalition Government is one of of love and Unity, the bottom line is that there are institutions which must exist to deal with racism in Guyana.

The PPP' made a joke out of the Ethnic Relations Commission. The public would probably have no confidence in it, given the antics of its last Chairman who is now a PPP MP.

Racism takes multiple forms in Guyana.  Race is used in fascinating ways in politics.

There are other times though, other possibilities  like Mugabe and me shaking hands and walking away  randomly on the road, when racism does not exist.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar