Dhal, calalloo and eating ice cream in Georgetown..


The cashier was thinking of food.. 'I like dhal bad, I does mek it when I deh home because I want to eat it two tie'. I hear her asking someone for some dhal and calaloo while I contemplate the ice cream order. After I collected the order, we gaff about sijan in the dhal and healthy food over the .. well.. ice cream.


'You get fat '.. I hear three times today .. one time before and two times after indulging in what I discovered is an 8oz Cup from the Demico Ice Cream Lounge on Main Street next door to the Arapaima Qik serv. 

The syrup - Strawberry - actually has strawberries in it. I looked at the price board and I realised that the syrups.. were peach, raspberry, strawberry. Even though I boycott the jubilee, I ask the attendants.. where the passion fruit, guava, mango, soursop..and they look at me and say things like 'well.. this is what the company has'.. I think they understood though.. about the absence of the local fruits.

The place is nice, a lot of pink on the walls. Chairs and tables, and they seem to have seats. Music is mellow. Nice place to meet people. The ice cream though next door is cheaper and you can get a little less if you on a diet and cheaper of course. But I am not on a diet..

Seats are on my mind at the Marble Slab at the corner of Camp and Regent Street.  I look for the two scoops to compare prices with the two scoops around the city. The seats are taken up. The attendant says 'oh don't worry, you can share a table'..
I order two flavours based on the names, but apparently the names don't always correspond to the flavours on display. The process is strange.. the two scoops are taken on to a slab with ice frost on it. 'It is a kind of freezer' and I watch the attendant kind of mix up the two different flavours I asked for.. with the topping.

I was not sure if I could have asked.. oh oh.. stop, is arite.. but it seems to be part of the process.

I find a seat opposite a young man and woman who are cuddling up. I kind of sit sideways and look up at the price board in case the young man and woman think I fast.. I mean , I would be looking at them while savouring each spoon of the mixed up ice cream and they would probably be wondering is why I rolling my lips and so like that.. while looking at them..

The rubbish bin is at the other end of the shop.. 'yeah man, you tek a walk and bun off de lil fat you just eat'..

Ice cream not bad.. but the seating thing means that no space to sit and enjoy and gaff and so.

The Brusters on Camp Street is my recent favourite place to meet people. Easy directions (next door to GRA almost) and many flavours of ice cream which they don't mix up and seats on the second floor. A friend said 'eh eh look how you can look down on Camp Street' . Nice place to have conversation and to also kind of hide, the location is too easy. 


The Brusters at Regent & Hinck streets is not far from people who sell fresh fruit and I always have a twinge of guilt that I am not buying fresh fruit and buying sugar, fat, and chemicals .  It is also at a too convenient location.

Ice-cream is available from other places. The Camp Street small Qik Serv does not have seats to sit down long in. Igloo on Camp Street is good for a cone when you on the run, though with my eating habits.. ice cream melts faster than I could eat it and I am likely to reach my destination with ice cream droppings on my clothes and so.

Nicky's used to do ice cream made from local fruits and so, but I have not seen ice cream on their board recently. I remember eating tangerine ice cream from them a long time ago.

But all the musing on ice -cream on a night after a day of  'you get fat'..  I know I should be staying far from these places and going instead to find dhal and calalloo to eat when I have craving for ice cream.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar