Getting up every 20 minutes..


A woman who smokes said.. thank God, there is something worse than smoking now.

There is a new cliche - Sitting is the new Smoking - about irreversible damage being caused by sitting for long periods regardless of how many 'minutes of exercise' per day.




The irony - the new pain which prevented sitting  comfortably in lotus position - legs crossed on the floor - made me realise the body is decaying much faster than I thought it would.


I thought I was blessed with good fortune - work which required sitting for long times on a comfortable chair which is probably bad for my body. I thought the periodic bouts of daily exercise would counteract the sitting.

It seems though, that the body needs to stand up and move every now and then. I have put an alarm on the computer which is where I sit most times.

The 20 minutes seem to finish much faster than I thought they would. I don't think I am slouching as much. I get up, try one of the stretches which are supposed to heal the muscles.


There will be situations when I have to sit longer, but I will probably learn how to fidget on the chair or floor to keep the  body mobile.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar