The joy of curiousity and new things; the pain of instability and distruption


The man in the ticket window said yeah.. you could go up and pointed in the general direction of the jetty heading out to the ferry in the distance.

I was tired, but curious about the whole ferry thing and also worrying about late departure, being stuck in the middle of the river and wondering about the minibus from Parika at whatever hour I reach. 

But curiosity mostly.. the nice feeling of doing something new, and nice breeze and then of course, saying.. what the hell, nothing I can change at this stage, let me leave it to the Universe long as I am safe and I am not causing any harm anywhere.


A woman asked me to explain what I meant about 'adjusting to where I live' in   a Coil where .

She was on anti-depressants and she felt that she needed stability, and that change and unpredictability created more problems for her.
Another man said that the adjusting, is what caused him , to sometimes be silent about things , his way of adapting. He wondered if the same thing would happen for many Guyanese who find themselves adjusting and accepting less and less.

A taxi driver who is not making it and frustrated at the economy said that yeah, people wanted Change, they not contented with what they have, and now no money circulating, wuking whole day and not making anything.

I explained that sometimes circumstances forced me to do new things.. like having to take the ferry, or taking on work which has me pushing the boundaries of my abilities and mental capacities. I have to find a teaching strategy outside of a boundary. Another thing which I was advised to do recently, is to change how I think about things and events and my reaction to them so that I could manage mental health better.

It has probably worked for some things.  I don't get worked up over some of the things I used to overwhelm me.  I have been doing things which I said I would never do, and also questioning some of my ethical issues and hope that time would provide answers as to how these are resolved.

There is risk in change , and each person might have to figure out how to measure  risk.

What I think is important, is that just how sometimes there is resistance/acceptance of the status quo, there has to be some way in which we also stimulate change and work out how we respond to things and keep learning.  I don't know if we become resilient  by being comfortable, but then again, I don't know how we decide on how to deal with changes and disruptions in our circumstances.




The stelling at Supenaam looked okay to me, solid - but apparently it is falling apart and in need of urgent repairs!  In the bus from Parika, I shut up about asking for some coolie music for a change and decided to let my mind wander around the other things I had to do. Another time, I might have done differently.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar