To pray or not to pray...

A young woman said she would encourage any body in an abusive situation to pray and fast and then seek guidance. A pandit said that if Hindus knew their religion well, then the profile of the person who most likely to commit suicide would not be Hindu/East Indian/coolie male.  Some concerned non-Hindus wonder if it is the reincarnation thing which make so many Hindus want to kill themselves, but I think that for many persons, it is the end of the troubles in this life which is of more concern rather than the next one.

We hear that bad things happen to people who do not pray or who do not pray hard enough and good things happen to people who pray or pray well. When good things happen to bad people it is probably because they are er devil worshippers or something like that.

It is nice to have someone to go ask for things and to have faith that good will happen and so and to enjoy the rituals which go along with this asking and thanking and seeking of whatever.

I don't ask God for things for myself any more.. because well, I would be angry with God if I did not get what I want. So I confess to thanking God for what I have and what I get.. the good and the bad and then I would cuss and so on after.

I am open to praying to different Beings in different religions because well, in case somebody answers.. even though I know it is not supposed to work that way.


I do not talk to God when feeling low because well, God don't answer back and is not a very good counsellor.  I have prayed though.. saying thank you when completing yoga poses, when something I didn't expect to turn out well turn out well, I have prayed for others too.. for the atheist couple who seemed to be on the brink of divorce (they still together now ); for people who I have woken up next to (even if they push me away after and as I think of those who don't talk to me and who have done well.. maybe it is because I am no longer in their lives and God answered my prayers?).. and for the sick.. not that they get better .. but that they can manage their illness.. because well it is kind of a cautious prayer .

I like being Hindu which gives me the flexibility of not praying when I do not want to and to focus on action and thinking through being a part of the Universe.

Recently as I deal with mental and physical health issues, I just pray that I could remain useful and not be caught up in feeling self-righteous about it. That prayer though I think is not really to any Being as such, but more some kind of promise to myself which I believe are perhaps the best kinds of prayers really.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar