Joy in the pancake and pineapple jam

The sun is hot and the body is lethargic and the spirit also feels the same. The brief away from Guyana was good for the soul and the return has been wearying for the soul .


A man who told me he loves me said  "Try to find joy no matter where you are friend."


Meetings in which I see how foreigners treat Guyanese and Guyana as ignorant, (maybe we are so I should not be angry with the foreigners), young people who supposed to be forward thinking who having conference but everybody who goes must be in semi-formal dress to create the 'serious' atmosphere and the plane trip home was not long enough for you to remember how you are supposed to find joy and you have forgotten how to find joy.

But food is good.. eating curry with dhal and wiri wiri pepper after two weeks away and oats and banana and fruits which actually have taste.. but the eating is also of other junk which I have heard also contributes to the feelings of heaviness and lethargy.. even though sweet and nice.

So.. egg ball and peanut punch. And then walking down the road into a place where there are pancakes/chota - the lady says the omelette finished but she laughs when I tell her later that as long as she has eggs in the kitchen the omelette cannot finish.

The pancakes are thick, slightly yellow. Cornmeal in them. I ask the lady if she has jam and she says yes and comes back with the pancake warmed with a nice layer of pineapple jam. The pancake big like the plate and I find joy in every mouthful, thinking that I don't have to eat all of this really.

And so I finish, come out with a lighter step into the hot sun.. knowing that maybe later the heaviness will return, but for here and now.. joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar