Work

Different people ask.. what work do you do now? The question is becoming more and more difficult to answer really, difficult to explain.. that paid work and unpaid work, there is no difference really.

Twenty years after graduation and I have no job with a guaranteed income.

My work day today so far has been helping with some chores and cooking bhaji and chunks for the first time; some conversation with a woman about using films to stimulate some social justice movements and conversation with another woman who said she liked the way I wrote about my vacation which was last week and not today.

So as I go to plan to do the work.. work which has to bring in money because some money is needed and this year I break with the middle class, middle forties coolie man in that I end the year with less money and assets than I started with.. assets I mean which are useful.

I have to write to GRA to appeal for a reassessment of my taxes but I am doing nonsense like writing this blog rather than sorting out my status.

But I settle down to fix the website, and think about the database conversion and the complicated presentation on issues I am not familiar with (work this week also included gaffing with Parents about parenting even though I am not a parent)..
as I sit down and look outside I see the jhandi flags in the tree flying.. a moment and I reach for the camera because I need another distraction and I am thinking of Diwali, light, jhandi flags in Suriname and other things.


As I try to organise myself into chores, money making,  exercise, wellness,sharing information, learning,  mind games.. I wonder how will I get this on a CV.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar