"You might tek a brick an' pelt me..."

The man walked past me. His head was tilted one side. I recognised him - he used to live near me. About 10 years ago he had an accident - he used to work as a tax officer. He was badly injured, resulting in severe  disability. His mental health was also affected.

The last time I saw him , his brother was helping him to walk on the seawall. He could not talk since his face muscles were not working properly.

So it was good today, when he reached out his hand. We shook hands and he started talking about recovery. The doctor had told him to keep walking.

He had lost his job he said, his family took his papers and certificates.. he said his brother took them for himself. He lives on a pension. He used to be independent, now he is trying to walk to recover because the people he is staying with want him to leave as soon as he gets better.

He did not like walking - he was scared that people would want to call him a mad man and to pelt him. It has never happened to him.

He is surprised that I am talking to him since he says many people have looked at him as though he is mad. I said that for all he knows, I might be mad too.. he said no no.. dont wish that on yourself.

We talked about ways for him to get back in touch with people - he is interested in politics. I told him to go to the People's Parliament and hang out there. He said the exercise is good now for his recovery and he is not on any medications. Some of the medications he said had bad side effects. He did not tell me what.

He told me he had to behave bad to get his pension. He says the people look at his condition and do not respect him or believe that he could earn the pension.

We shook hands and parted. He told me that is good to talk, that the next time "you might tek a bring an' pelt me" . He was smiling though when he was saying this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar