Three years, 275 posts, 27000 page views..

This week is the third anniversary of the launch of the blog. I like that I kept this up for the last three years. There is a mix of narcissism and megalomania in my blogging . I like that I can air my views out, put them into cyber space so that unsuspecting Google users will come across the writings. I think I am important so that people will want to read what I write. There is this other thing about standing at a road corner and shouting or speaking or singing and having the words out there for people to hear.

27000 page views - though I am sure thousands of those are from spammers and so on. But still, it is nice to know - a spammer might become inspired to write their own blog. Some of them have made nice comments and put links to their blogs for Dunhill cigarettes.


Most posts seem to get an average of 15 or so hits in the first few days after they are made. I am still surprised sometimes at what people like to read the most. I had two letters recently in the papers and the likes were from different people. 
The- Bishops' High School Prize Giving Speech
has received the most hits. It seems a lot of people do like I did at the time I was writing the speech, look for templates for prize giving speeches.


Other blogs
We need to keep telling our own stories from Guyana. I am in good company of many other Guyanese who have worked on blog projects. Some are more active than others, but still they all help to add to the Guyana mosaic.

My role model for active blogging is  Guyana Gyal's   with its mix of different kind of prose and poetry in creolese and other kinds of writing.  Charmaine Valere's Signifyin' Guyana is now a comprehensive website.

I am glad some of the Guyanese journalists are now blogging.  Some of them are no longer journalists in Guyana and their blogs are not journalism pieces but allows . The blogs from  Iana Seales' For De Record ; and Wanita Huburn's Tipping Point and Imran Khan's Chronicles .
Other people have started and stopped their blogs. This piece on a walk across the 'Horror Bridge' is one of my favourite Guyanese pieces - from a short lived blog from another journalist Neil Marks . Ruel Johnson's Minority Report is another blog worth reading.

Other interesting blogs from Guyana are Seeking El Dorado, Thoughts of the Unheard Man and  condemnant quod non intellegunt . Seeking El Dorado has incorporated pictures to add to the writing. I have bought a "point and shoot camera" so I will soon be adding some pictures - I hope.

Nanda Sahadeo's blog is good for all foodies - with local vegetarian recipes. GT Observer has great bits and pieces from Guyana.. and not just as observer but participant who is often disappointed at what she is observing and or participating in. Heston Rodrigues' blog is not updated often.. the man says he is busy - but also with interesting perspectives from Guyana

Two other techie blogs - Michael Dabydeen's and Joshua Kissoon's are good projects - though no doubt faced with the dilemma of other busy people who cannot blog often.

Lessons from blogging
I am too busy to blog. But now there are times when words go through my head and I feel that I should write things down. The words and sentences often come out as mixed up as they are in my head - but I publish anyway. Sometimes I wait until 12 hours to post. But it is good to let out.

I am glad that I blog about dealing with depression. It is my version of talk therapy because the characters are reflective of how I am feeling. I hope to keep working on this 'wellness' part of the blog. I would like to improve on the book reviews  - I am not reading enough.

There are other lessons - they say to keep the blogs short - 400 words, but then it is mine.. they are as long as I want them to be and people can decide how to skim through.

Next year this time, I hope that I am writing better.

Comments

  1. You inspired me to jot down my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh man now you're make me go join all those blogs. You have a great blog. Keep it up.

    guyanesesista.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vidya,

    Take a bow. Your stories are our stories, and you tell them so well! I couldn't start my blog without your constant push, and I thank you! P.S I hope to blog in your writing style one of these days.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar