Finding God on the minibus..

The lady asked the bus to pause at the church to pick up her son. I asked her if she goes to that church, she says No, she goes to one of the Assemblies of God. We get to talking about people we know.. she asks if I go to Newtown. I say no, I am Hindu. She then says that I can still convert.

I ask her.. why would I convert, I deh good.. she says how you know? I say.. that isn't she happy with her God?I am happy with mine, I had good experiences.
She ask me how i know God. I say God put me here to sit down next to her.  I say that God greater than us, we cannot know what God thinks. She say no, she knows that her God is the true God, not man made Gods.

 I say what man made Gods? I say is only one God they have.  I say that she has God inside of her.. she says that the Holy Spirit is in her.. I say , yes in her and everyone.. her stop come. As she step out she say that her God is the Most High God, higher than the other Gods...which are moulded by man. We smiling all the time when we talking and I glad she telling me these things.

So.. after years of living together and going to school together and doing things like social Studies.. somehow, the learning that Hindu people do not manufacture their Gods has been missed and people get this idea , reinforced in their churches.. that their God is the Most High (Higher than all the Gods..)

So even though I assert my own belief and truth and experiences.. are people taught that those are false and that something is wrong with people like me who might experience God in a different way?

No wonder in Guyana we have a lot of work to do to get a cohesive society.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this Vidya. We still live with hegemonic christianity brought to us by our oppressors. many Christians in guyana and elsewhere subscribe to a patriarchal notion of god who sits at the throne of the empire and dominates and controls. this is a serious theological construct which needs to be unpacked in conversation with other faith communities in guyana. it has a lot of implications for who we are, our ways of thinking, knowing and being.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar