The front seat

The woman sitting next to me in the front seat wanted Bhena's on Regent Street.  The bus stopped at the traffic light, not the bus stop  There was a police outrider. The driver told the woman that she could come out here. The woman mek a quick dash out.  I say whah.. look de police.. the driver wink at me. He said.. oh.. he has no control over the passenger. The driver said.. once is not the conductor opening the door. He said the law have plenty loophole, that is why they have lawyer to find the loophole. I mutter something about how man mek law an' man not perfeck.

The front seat is a nice kind of place to do contemplation away from the humanity in the back. You could gaff with the driver if you want especially if he bored because he doan have nobody to talk to. The front seat means you  have to use the seatbelt. I don't like the feeling of being restrained. The seatbelt though is a great equalizer of humanity. The scent of the sweat, cologne, other bodily things.. makes you feel like you are embracing the unknown humanity which travels in the bus.
If luck is good, your nice clean shirt would have a smudge from the dusty seat belt and you could claim your working class creds if anyone looks funnily at your dirty shirt.. especially if is a Monday morning. "Yeah I came in a bus that started running since 4am.. and not in my own airconditioned SUV or ..

The only thing about the front seat is that you don't get to let the imagination run wild as you listen to the one sided cell phone conversations "I in a taxi coming.. ", "I aint lef home yet..", "I alone cant decide de icing colour pun de cake.. ".. She is coming in from France tonight.."

I never forget the man who turned around and handed me his contact details after I finished my conversation.. because as he said.. he hear me talking about Moodle and he works with Moodle. I also confess to speaking loudly sometimes because I want to see who looking at me.. one time I tell somebody about how I dont want the lady to ker me to sharma.. and the woman next to me looked at me with disgust on her face.
But all that don't happen in the front seat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar