A good cup of tea..

This afternoon, I made a cup of tea and sat on the back step and drank it.
I made a big coffee cup of it, it took a while to drink down.. I was mellow, after doing a yoga routine.. and needing to chill out a bit after a confusing day of child protection issues, gay rights, fixing websites, sorting out money, market..

When I was growing up, I thought tea was for ladies and sissies.. and the coffee was a man's drink.. so as a child, I  looked forward to my first cup of coffee like I did to shaving.
Louis L'amour cowboys drank coffee not tea. Red Rose Tea was in the house and I started drinking tea every now and then. Tea bags were not known and it was a pain to 'draw the tea'. I associated this with my grandmothers.. not sure why, this big pot with the tea floating in it and my naanee keeping tea in the flask.. I think she drank more tea than water.

So I end up in the UK to study, and tea is cheap and for about three years, I probably only had three cups of coffee. Large boxes of Sainsbury's Red Label Tea were always around.. and now and then I would treat myself to some Earl Grey... with milk though, the lemon was too expensive to buy to squeeze the lemon juice.
So I start working in Guyana, and coffee becomes associated with rush rush and tea with reflection. I get posh and have a distaste for Instant Coffee - can't remember when last I had instant coffee. Instead, if filter coffee not available, I opt for tea.
I am one of those who drink the tea with the teabag string hanging out of the cup or at the side of my mouth depending on where the cup is. Somebody did show me how to wring out the tea bag by wrapping the string around it.. but..

I sometimes drink the tea with spoon in it, to hold down the tea bag.

There is something about how the tea gets stronger, as you get to the end.. that does not happen with coffee.

My friends introduce me to all kinds of bush tea..well Herbal Tea - rooibus, pomegranate, hibsicus, chamomille, st john's wort, 
Some are nice and some are well, not so nice. It is nice to have variety. Earlier this year, I stayed at an hotel with the variety laid out and each day I stole about five or so threw in my suitcase to enjoy when I came home.. but something about the storage.. the peppermint tea seemed to have absorbed the honey and ginger . .. it is not good to be "houngish.'

Coffee I associate  with morning, and standing up to drink it in a kind of rush or on the go.. tea is for the luxurious moments of sitting down.. the coffee flavour is strong, goes to the senses,.. tea, somehow makes you want to savour it, to feel the flavour so you slow down a bit.. you have to put your mind on the cup of tea... kind of like meditating on it.

Caffeine sensitivity prevents me from indulging in non-herbal tea every afternoon.. so I guess that is why the 15 minutes or so I get is good. One of the rituals after the jhandhi in the morning.. when everything is over, place cleaned up, people gone home, and it is about 4pm, is to take the cup of tea with plenty different spices.. and chill out. Tea after 430pm means a miserable night no matter how mellow I feel.

Tea, I like to drink alone.. coffee I can have with people around me and talk and so on. The fancy tea cups annoy me, because they are too small , but they must be some reason so I like to have a coffee mug to drink the tea. I used to have an enamel cup at my office, it was perfect sized.


I stop putting sugar in the tea. The tea tastes, well more like tea without the sugar, difficult to explain. It dont taste bad at all. Condensed milk does not work good with tea.. it works really good with coffee.

I like putting all kinds of things in the tea.. ginger, nutmeg, cinammon, elaichie, orange peel, clove - it is amazing how good it tastes. Coffee though, with ginger.. or orange peel.. though I am to try Coffee while eating tangerine.

Funnily, I prefer chocolate cake with the coffee rather than with tea... in fact, tea is nice, just so, without eating anything. I associate coffee with needing something to eat with it.

I should be doing something more productive than write about drinking tea..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar