Still walking home...

Today I walked home part of the way from Theatre Guild. I walked down Lamaha Street , from Parade to Vlissengen and then took a bus.


Twenty five  years ago, I used to walk this route, from Bishops. When  I used to walk this route, it was never ending.. the long straight road. A friend who used to walk with me found a different route through Middle Street, Third Street, Crown Street.. a first lesson in life, when you have a long journey, get the breaks and the twists and turns, they break the monotony.. and you end up in different places .. like we used to try and mek the 4:45 at Liberty Cinema now and then. The route would take us past Empire Cinema, or Plaza. 

Time flies..  I felt like I was 15 again though, and I was looking at the houses and wondering who was living in them.. especially the old ones. I passed Martin Carter's house.. in those days we used to catch glimpses of him. I used to wonder at the rich people and fantasise about myself in some of the big houses... I used to pray that I never would have to go to Georgetown Hospital. I used to want to be able to plant vegetables and flowers like how the people on the embankment planted them.

Sometimes, if the people in front of me had nice conversation going, I would walk slow and keep a pace, just to listen in and hear what they saying.

Twenty Five years later.. I am still walking home.. not driving, and not living in any of the houses which I still ogle , feeling cooler in shirt and shorts rather than the gaberdine school pants and uniform
The road is long still, but I seem to cover it quickly because my mind all over the place. Georgetown Hospital is more or less the same, and I feel the same.
The vegetables and flowers are gone. Not many people walking there now, so no conversations to listen to. If Liberty was there, I would have gone in, but there is an empty lot with grass on it. I feel a pang .. what the hell, nothing has changed, I have not moved on.. and then I come home and write this blog

Comments

  1. Feels like that old cliche "the more things change the more they remain the same"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar