Where you going now?

The sheer joy of being able to say I dont know to that question is part of this respite from the organised life dat i carved out for myself. I remember inter-railing through Europe as a student, and saying if i ever come back, i aint coming on no budget and i will be staying in proper hotel - in other words, coming back a rich man. And now, almost 20 years later, i come back counting my pennies and staying cheap

But is good. Once the Vienna crap done, the spirits lifted. The train ride from Vienna to Salzburg was amazing.. nice rolling countryside, rain falling, mountains in mist, and then different farm land. I had book to read but did not read the book.
Couchsurfing Karma.. my first couchsurfer, Malvin who had come to Guyana for Cricket in 2007 and who I had told I have no plans to be in Austria.. well we meet. He is a lil older. And he glad to talk Indian with me, malvin has been going around the world to the countries where Indian labourers went, he himself is a kind of Indian labourer, working at a factory here near Salzburg since 1981. He had insisted I stay with his family for the night. He likes Naipaul, Garcia Marquez and Kushwant Singh.. and he said he lost some books to some Indian people who dont read them but put up shelves to impress people. The man has books from Indian people in Fiji , Belize.. amazing. The man is also an Ubuntu linux user.
It is raining all the time, and I have no clothes for the 16 degree celsius.. I just give up in terms of worrying about cough and cold. Malvin lives in Adnet and they have mountains all round. In the rain you cannot see all, and the air is fresh and nice. I sleep sound sound. Sunday, is a nicer day.. lil sun, and is the first day of theh Salzburg Summer Festival.
Marianna, Raggi and I gaff long.. this is a gaff after six years. We last meet up in a Brixton cafe, so was not like I ever imagine I would see she in a cafe in Salzburg.. ah mean, who does mek dem plan dat? But so it was, nice gaff,.. and me thinking this cannot be true. Breeze cold though, sun in and out, I cover up in a shawl.. nice woolen woman shawl, but it warm and nice. I try a ting an say.. next time in a cafe in Tehran.. just to see where fate gun place me because Iran is a place I would like to go to...
And then I walk around the white people place and see the old buildings, hear lil music playing all over, but my two shirt not keeping me warm at all and i aint want to get sick again.. the river is amazing.. well riverside walk, one day we gun walk long side demerara river like what they do in most cities which have river. The bells from different churches did the evensong.. was something else to stand up and hear them.


The Youth Hostel fancy now, wifi and thing in the lobby, though is the same six bunk in a small room and caution to be careful about tief. But is families around and groups, some people dont have laptop, they playin' cards and chess. I never travelled in a group, I like travellin alone and if I was not checkin email I guess I would have been hooking up with another traveller and gaffing about where we been and where we going. Were it not for the breeze, it would have been a nice night to be outside in the platz's dem where dey had music and so on going..



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar