Surya Namaskar and death by chocolate

om mitrāya namaḥ (ॐ मित्राय नमः)
This is the first time I am doing the surya namaskara in the open, under the sun

The bus from NYC was late, so we watched the sun rise over Washington. I caught a glimpse of the Capitol Building and the Washington obelisk from the bus. My body was stiff. So I asked a lady where the Mall, was and if people could exercise there. She say yes, she runs there every morning. I decided to head there, another bum on the Mall would not make a difference.

om ravaye namaḥ (ॐ रवये नमः)
7:30am when plenty people going to work in Guyana, I go on the Mall and do the Surya Namaskar. I could imagine the security people must be wondering about this mad man bowing down in the direction of the Capitol Building.

om sūryāya namaḥ (ॐ सूर्याय नमः)
When i done, i go looking for breakfast. Starbucks got line and everything look fancy. I ask a roadside lady if she have coffee, she say no. No roadside coffee, only the fancy places. I find one, which dont look like franchise and is bagels and coffee again. My couchsurfing friend got to work and I am ready to explore. Place clean and look tidy. There are people begging, mostly black men, some of them with their army veteran ID. One man asked me for a smoke, when I tell him smoking not good for him, he laughed.

om bhānave namaḥ (ॐ भानवे नमः)
My spectacle lens fall out and I get to walk around more to look for optician to fix them. They do not charge and I try on some expensive frames to see how I would look. I dont look much different from when I wear the mildew frame


om khagāya namaḥ (ॐ खगाय नमः)
I start at the Freer and Sackville Galleries. I hear the guide say in a beautiful voice with nice Indian accent, "My name is Sushmita.." and then i want cuss when she say 'Call me sush for short'.. I mean, they dont call Barack Hussain .. Barry do they?

om puṣṇe namaḥ (ॐ पूष्णे नमः)

The Tibetan shrine is there. The catalogue for the Buddhism exhibitions is brilliant, it explains buddhism and confronts the critics who claim it as idol worshipping.

om hiraṇya garbhāya namaḥ (ॐ हिरण्यगर्भाय नमः)


Whenever I wander through galleries of other people artifacts, I always wonder, where do they "Purchase" this stuff from? There are artefacts from the Middle East and from India. I watch the sculptures from the temples, the murti and wonder if they will ever be returned. Somebody had to chisel those things out of temples and send them to Mr Freer and Mr Sackville. It is amazing though to be next to things which are hundreds and thousands of years old.

om marīcaye namaḥ (ॐ मरीचये नमः)
The Smithsonian gardens are beautiful. Squirrel watching me. Birds bathing there. The cold aint come yet. Roses out.



om ādityāya namaḥ (ॐ आदित्याय नमः)

American Museum of Natural History crowded with school children. At the entrance, there is a demonstration of a lao baci ceremony. The girl and I chat and she ties a thread on my wrist and gives me a peace blessing. I do the same for her. Coming from the Buddhist exhibition, it seemed a nice thing to do and also peace blessing in a hall of screaming children is a nice Buddhist reminder of how to be silent in chaos. The thread joins the others on my hand.

om savitre namaḥ (ॐ सवित्रे नमः)
Fantastic displays and plenty things for children to touch and lift up and so on. So i was touching and lifting up. Thinking of tiefin, I peep the Hope Diamond. Owned by the American people, including the men down the road who begging.


The American History museum - I fast and went and look at the First Lady dresses and gowns and artefacts from the period when they were reigning. They say when a woman become President, then they will decide what to do about her husband clothes. Monica blue dress not here though.


om arkāya namaḥ (ॐ अर्काय नमः)
Evening time, to go lime on the Potomac. My friends go to Sequoia where I get ID and the man here put a corona beer wrist band on the threads I have from the Hindu and Lao Baci ceremonies. This tags me as being adult apparently. The Thursday night before, I had seen an excellent Malaysian film Talentime by Yasmin Ahmad. My mouth feel like Malaysian so I get to eat the Mee Siam from Malaysia Kopitiam is good, i veer from Vegetarian path.



om bhāskarāya namaḥ (ॐ भास्कराय नमः)

The Mall now.. 10pm. Well.. the pictures are on the internet, but the Lincoln Memorial (I could not find the masonic symbols) and watching the Washington memorial reflecting in the pool. The Vietnam one is dark, but there are some interesting reflections. For the first time, I wish I had a camera.

My couchsurfing friend, Fred, is amazing in that he recommends the Mall at this time. I understand the benefits of couchsurfing now, of doing the non-tourist things and getting a deeper sense of a place from a resident's perspective.

We go to the famous Washington bookstore, kramers.. which in addition to books, have bar and restaurant. Plenty books, which I did not bother with, and shelves of pies which I ogled. It is 12:30am now, and i choose to die by chocolate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar